Charlotte Mecklenburg EMS

Mparham02

• 4 weeks later...

I got an offer of employment from MEDIC911 yesterday to start on 9/22/09. Now I am faced with figuring out how to get there from Portland, and find a place to live. I hope it works out I have been unemployed since Jan '09.

I got an offer of employment from MEDIC911 yesterday to start on 9/22/09. Now I am faced with figuring out how to get there from Portland, and find a place to live. I hope it works out I have been unemployed since Jan '09.
Good luck. I know a few medics who work there and they like it. Two of the guys have been there for 7 and 6 years respectively. They are a busy service and utilize SSM. It works for them though as they are usually on a call anyway. You will also be starting in time for Panthers Football! Bonus!

My wife has been talking about NC lately, but I'd rather be by the ocean....third service would be my choice as well....
p3, New Hanover EMS is for you then. Located in Willmington NC located on the coast, they provide EMS for New Hanover County and CCT for New Hanover regional. They also operate the helo service I believe, but not entirely positive of that. You will be hard pressed to find a Fire based EMS service in NC. Of the top of my head I can only think of one. It just happens to be where I am though. Dammit!

Good luck in NC-I lived there for 6 years. I have been unemployed since Jan 09 also- looks like I will be going to Afganistan to work as a medic at a Army base. Or maybee a remote medic. Dont like the area too much but here in Michigan half the state just got layed off from the car industry.

Hopefully I wont step on anything that goes boom. or get lead posioning. Lots of good stuff to

do in North C. Hunting and fishing and swimming. oh and drinking too. Beaches are definately better than CA. But second to Pensacola Fl. All in all a little humid during the summer. Cant tell you much about the EMS though. Iwas at camp Lejuene. With the Marines. At least this time if a

Officer yells at me I can just walk away. Be safe. Cheers. Still unemployed in Michigan.

• 2 years later...

I have worked for Medic in Charlotte for 25 years. I am a Paramedic and FTO. As far as a place to live, the Charlotte area is great. There are several areas outside the city that as less populated and are only a short commute to our main facility. I live about 35 minutes outside the city. In short, I think you would enjoy working for our system. We have several employees who have

Worked for us for over 30 years. If you need specifics regarding protocols, operations, etc, please let me know. Feel free to e-mail me at jiml2@medic911.com.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather is not bad - there are a few weeks of really cold (lows in the teens, highs in the thirties) and about six weeks of over ninety degree days.

The area has everything you can want to do.

I, too, would recommend looking for a home outside of the Char-Meck area - really, at least two counties away. IMHO, I would recommend looking for a home in a little town called Clover, SC. It is close enough to the Medic HQ to be real convenient but far enough away to be very inexpensive.

Wages: I know one basic EMT who, with overtime, makes in excess of 50k per year. If you're careful, you can rent a nice but small home in Clover for $350-$450 per month, or purchase nice homes (1500-1700 sq feet) for less than $100k. You can expect an electric + heat bill of $150-250 per month, depending on your usage. If you're in SC, gasoline is around $3.00 -$3.35 per gallon (from clover - you're about 35 miles - all four lane - from Medic HQ). Property taxes are lower in SC, etc. etc.

As for the work environment, I have heard it is excellent, but I have no personal experience. However, I am scheduled to test with them when my Paramedic class is complete in September.

Good luck!

Edited by chappy