Burnt out in the streets

I left the street side of E.M.S. after 5 years in a high crime area. I have worked in hospital, industrial, and psych institutions. I still have enormous compassion and hopefully gained skills and knowledge in all those arenas. I feel like I am in a rut. Anybody else have ideas, other than Nursing? Nursing is not appealing to me at all. Going back to the street isn't either. Thank you for any feedback.post-23120-1246157183_thumb.jpg

I left the street side of E.M.S. after 5 years in a high crime area. I have worked in hospital, industrial, and psych institutions. I still have enormous compassion and hopefully gained skills and knowledge in all those arenas. I feel like I am in a rut. Anybody else have ideas, other than Nursing? Nursing is not appealing to me at all. Going back to the street isn't either. Thank you for any feedback.post-23120-1246157183_thumb.jpg

5 years isn't very long- even in a busy area. Are you just a restless spirit?

In the business- teacher. Have a Degree?

What about transferring to a slower area if possible?

Another provider in a slower area?

What about the Allied Professions- Xray tech, MRI tech, ultrasound, Respiratory tech?

Out of the business? What are your interests? Pick a hobby or interest and expand on it.

Why haven't you gone past EMT?

Would you be happier as a Paramedic?

Any other healthcare occupation is going to require a minimum of 2 to 4 years of education and you will see 2 - 10x more patients in half the time as an EMT. You may also be taking care of the same patients from the high crime area but for a much longer period of time.

Since you have already worked a variety of places in just 5 years, you may need to examine another field outside of health care. While you may think you have gained a lot as an EMT, it is an entry level position and didn't require that much to gain the entry. Don't look back and move on to something that may hold your interest longer. Keep an open mind for all opportunities.

Edited by VentMedic

All you have told us is what you have done..... What do you WANT to do?

Patient care?

adreniline rushes?

Work alone?

Work in a group?

Work fast paced/slow paced?

Health care even?

5 yrs urban is not alot of experience actually...... In Ontario the service awards start at 25 yrs of service, food for thought.

If you are burnt out already, I would suspect that health care may not be for you?

I've been in EMS for 18 years, with a good amount of my time in busy urban areas. I'm burnt out. Today I figured out why I'm burnt out, and it has nothing to do with patients or call volume. I'm so tired of quantity over quality providers, the lack of education, and being told I'm arrogant because of my views on education. Despite my recent enlightenment, I'm still leaving EMS for a field that requires the same education across the board. You can only beat your head against the wall for so long before you get a raging headache.

I elected to pursue the study of history, and with any luck, I'll be teaching within the next two years. You HAVE to have a B. A. in history with a secondary education elective to teach middle and high school level history, period. There is no quick two week class, and minimal fluctuation in the required classes depending on the university you attend. When I complete my masters, I'll be eligible to teach at a college level, but not before. Advanced education, what a concept.

It will sure be nice to go to work and know there will be at least one person there that I'll be able to engage in intelligent conversation.

If I ever won the lottery, I'd change my occupation to professional student. You can NEVER learn too much, I just wish everyone realized that fact.

Good luck in finding what makes you happy.

• 2 weeks later...
5 years isn't very long- even in a busy area. Are you just a restless spirit?

In the business- teacher. Have a Degree?

What about transferring to a slower area if possible?

Another provider in a slower area?

What about the Allied Professions- Xray tech, MRI tech, ultrasound, Respiratory tech?

Out of the business? What are your interests? Pick a hobby or interest and expand on it.

Thank you. I have thought of respiratory tech, and the other allied occupations. I just have to decide..not getting any younger, and yes I must be a restless spirit.

Find a nice private company, in a suburban area.. But, IMO, if you go rural-career; after working in a city.. You're gonna burn out again.

I still want to stay in the medical field. I have been a medic for 13 years, just wanted to use my skills in other arenas. Thank you for your input.

Any other healthcare occupation is going to require a minimum of 2 to 4 years of education and you will see 2 - 10x more patients in half the time as an EMT. You may also be taking care of the same patients from the high crime area but for a much longer period of time.

Since you have already worked a variety of places in just 5 years, you may need to examine another field outside of health care. While you may think you have gained a lot as an EMT, it is an entry level position and didn't require that much to gain the entry. Don't look back and move on to something that may hold your interest longer. Keep an open mind for all opportunities.

I know that paramedics make a little more money. Yet, not enough for the litigation responsibility that I see in my area. It is ridiculous and adds a whole other level of stress. I have 13 years of experience and want to stay in the medical field. I am sure that I will go with one of the other allied professions. Thank you for sharing.

I have worked in those three arenas in a time span of 13 years. Thanks, I am keeping an open mind. Luckily, I have a very patient husband.

All you have told us is what you have done..... What do you WANT to do?

Patient care?

adreniline rushes?

Work alone?

Work in a group?

Work fast paced/slow paced?

Health care even?

5 yrs urban is not alot of experience actually...... In Ontario the service awards start at 25 yrs of service, food for thought.

If you are burnt out already, I would suspect that health care may not be for you?

My experience as a medic is 13 years..5 in the street. I enjoy health care and can't imagine another career. I just need to decide which of the allied occupations, I would like to go into. Thank you for your input.

I've been in EMS for 18 years, with a good amount of my time in busy urban areas. I'm burnt out. Today I figured out why I'm burnt out, and it has nothing to do with patients or call volume. I'm so tired of quantity over quality providers, the lack of education, and being told I'm arrogant because of my views on education. Despite my recent enlightenment, I'm still leaving EMS for a field that requires the same education across the board. You can only beat your head against the wall for so long before you get a raging headache.

I elected to pursue the study of history, and with any luck, I'll be teaching within the next two years. You HAVE to have a B. A. in history with a secondary education elective to teach middle and high school level history, period. There is no quick two week class, and minimal fluctuation in the required classes depending on the university you attend. When I complete my masters, I'll be eligible to teach at a college level, but not before. Advanced education, what a concept.

It will sure be nice to go to work and know there will be at least one person there that I'll be able to engage in intelligent conversation.

If I ever won the lottery, I'd change my occupation to professional student. You can NEVER learn too much, I just wish everyone realized that fact.

Good luck in finding what makes you happy.

Thank you for sharing. I positively know the reason that I was burned out in the streets, was because of me. I agree with you on the education front. I just have to decide what area of the allied health careers to go back to school for. Thanks again.

You could become an air traffic controller

Haha Actually, my father was an air traffic controller. He said it was the most stressful job that he ever had. Thanks though!

I agree that first you have to figure out what you enjoy, or you will be making this decision again in a few years. Anything in medicine puts you at a higher risk for being sued, but how many folks do you know that have actually been sued --- I wouldnt let that drive my deicsion.

I am not saying this is you, but consider whether or not this phenomenon plays a part in your thinking. What I see as burnout is usually self-induced and not the fault of the industry, the patients, or the employer. All of us thought we would be millionaires by the time we hit 30, then we get to 30 and realize that we are working two jobs (usually both EMS jobs). That is the first mistake, living above your means so that you have to work 2 jobs (no you do not have to have a brand new car at age 19). The second mistake is working the same job 100+ hours per week. I dont care if you were getting paid to provide oral sex to super models. If you did it 100 hours per week, you would get tired of it.

Before you bail to another industry, think about doing something different in this industry, where you already have some expertise. Can you teach EMS, can you go rural, can you go industrial, can you work for Homeland Security, can you work in a doc in the box or ER ? Can you be a flightmedic, can you work on a critical care or pediatric MICU team, can you become a manager or a consultant.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.