Lock your ambulance!

paramedicmike

LOL! The thief looks like he was lifted straight from that "Faces Of Meth" website.

47508943.JPG

The crew needs to join the unemployment list, alongside the thief.

LOL! The thief looks like he was lifted straight from that "Faces Of Meth" website.

47508943.JPG

The crew needs to join the unemployment list, alongside the thief.

The crew should be fired? How about letting the punishment fit the crime?

They made a mistake. A stupid and totally unnecessary mistake, but that was all it was.

Let it cost them time off, reeducation, and I promise they(and their coworkers) will get the message- it will never happen to this crew again.

Actually, looks more like Wilf after a night out on the town. :)

Bite Me!

ROFL!

Squared !

Most companies have policies regarding this. We are to lock our ambulance at all times. Failure to do so, gives the employer the right to dismiss the crew for violating company policy. I do not know this companies policies, but I would assume there is something written in there about it. Lots of things are in those policies that are over looked everyday by crew and nothing happens because some would say it's just a formality to have them there.

The punishment does fit the crime. If you leave it unlocked and a supervisor catches you, that's a written warning. But if you get over $100 thousand dollars worth of equipment stolen through negligence, you're fired.

This is not McDonalds. Small mistakes result in huge consequences. Someone who is not cognisant enough of their procedures to prevent this should not be taking human lives into their hands. This is exactly why they nit pick the heck out of the little stuff in the military. Because if you cannot be trusted with the little stuff, then you darn sure cannot be trusted with the big stuff. And I can guarantee you that they didn't just make a mistake. They never lock their doors. It is a wilful choice they make, just like people who choose not to wear their seat belts. You play, you pay. Fired.

So its fairly common for you guys to lock your trucks? We've had stuff nicked out them but it's fairly rare; we generally leave the back doors open to facilitate easy in/out of patients, equipment etc when at a job. I've known the officer that is driving to take the keys out and either stick them in his/her pocket or on one of those big, long homey ghetto style key chains. Most often they are left in the vehicle.

If anybody auctually looked at our vehicles, they'd notice that contrary to popular belief nothing inside the vehicle is of any value to them; has zero resale value and if they want narcs, well, they are carried on the Officer's belt or in a pouch in his pocket which is usually again, on the end of a great big homie ghetto style keychain.

Somebody made off with one of our ALS bags a while ago, the service had to put out a media note saying if you wanted narcs don't take anything in our bag because you might die :lol:

If you cost any employer $125K because of a stupid, willful choice (like failing to lock the doors of your ambulance) then you will get fired. This isn't something limited to EMS. I don't know any industry that would keep an employee who, through willful disregard, cost them that much money.

What's more, not only did they leave the doors unlocked, the left the keys inside. Knowing how a lot of EMS-ers work, they probably left the keys in the ignition. You wouldn't leave your POV unlocked with they keys in the ignition. So why would you leave an ambulance that costs better than $100,000, not counting all the equipment inside (like a $20,000+ monitor, drugs, narcotics and more) unlocked with they keys in the ignition? You're practically begging someone to steal it!

I agree with Dust. They should be fired. They're lucky the meth-head looking guy who stole the ambulance didn't kill anyone. That would have opened an entirely new can of worms.

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.