Ambulances, infection control, and UV lights

I had kinda of an epiphany today. In my lab at school, all of the fume hoods have UV lights built in to keep them sterile between uses. As a safety mechanism, when ever the hood is opened up, the UV light automatically cuts out, but they are also controlled by a switch.

Does anyone know if any ambulance manufacturers have experimented with adding UV lights to the back of the ambulance? Given how, at least in the top end ambulances, many manufacturers are moving towards being computer controlled (instead of just switches and circuit boards and complete with a touch screen control), it couldn't take much more to install a timed system that automatically ends when any door to the patient opens.

• Like 1

I think that's an excellent idea. Though I imagine one set of cabinets would have to have darker plastic or be opague to protect meds and other sensitive equipment from UV. Probably a fairly cheap solution too. Now, that being said, how effective would this technique be AND would crews start relying on it at the cost of a thorough deep clean.

JP I just did a safety training on the swine flu and in the midst of it all I recall Toronto EMS has UV in their cars. After the SARS they are the leading medics in infection control as far as I have been told. How true this is I dont know as Im on the other side of the contry. But it is a great idea.

I've seen portable kits as options, along with antimicrobial upholstery, walls, ceiling and grab bars; on either Demo or Ambulance Spec sheets.

Its a good idea but UV light is what kills plastics and rubber. So the rubber handles, vinyl seats and such would start to degrade. Plus there might be problems with suction, ett, and bvms if they are exposed at long intervals. Plus the areas under the stretcher and so forth that are shaded would not be disinfected. A portable unit that can be used at base may work. Something like a smoke machine with disinfectant may be more through though

Have you seen those automated public toilets that you have to pay to use. Once your done it sprays the whole bathroom to disinfect it. Something like that might be very useful.

If in the patient care area of an ambulance, I hope there is a cutoff switch for this sprayer, if someone is riding third.

If in the patient care area of an ambulance, I hope there is a cutoff switch for this sprayer, if someone is riding third.

Or.. if it sprays a liquid. The ambulance may drive like a boat, but it ain't equipped to resist water. As most of us know, those cabinet doors, no matter how well constructed they look, are definitely NOT watertight. May be looking to ruin all of your disposable equipment, bags, gloves, etc. Even steam would ruin the paper packaged stuff. Some cleaners kill plastic and vinyl; most of our more important disposable equipment is made of a variant of the two.

Edited by 4c6

Or.. if it sprays a liquid. The ambulance may drive like a boat, but it ain't equipped to resist water. As most of us know, those cabinet doors, no matter how well constructed they look, are definitely NOT watertight. May be looking to ruin all of your disposable equipment, bags, gloves, etc. Even steam would ruin the paper packaged stuff. Some cleaners kill plastic and vinyl; most of our more important disposable equipment is made of a variant of the two.

You may be surprised just how water tight they are. An area service that will remain nameless, recently received a new ambulance from a supplier that will remain Crestline. The exterior roof panel had not been secured and sealed properly and over the first 6 weeks or so it was in service water would leak in. It kept having minor electrical problems and drove poorly, but it wasn't until someone leaned on the side and it felt "odd" that they opened it up and found it was full of water around the box from the floor to half way up the sides.

I meant things spraying on the compartment doors inside the patient module. Been there. Cursed about it, several different models. They ain't water resistant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.