Home Sprinklers: Your thoughts.

robert gift

With a home sprinkler system, must you also have monitoring 24/7?

I don't want to spend $35/month for monitoring.

If I install sprinkler heads, I'd do it in the basement to protect exposed engineered floor joists

and where water damage would be less.

But, as funds permit, I hope to enclosed exposed joists behind drywall.

I'd be afraid of a pipe in my attic freezing unless it stays dry.

Also fearful that if a head opens, our house could be severely water damaged if not monitored.

Thank you for your opinions.

Edited by robert gift

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a home sprinkler system, must you also have monitoring 24/7?...

Do you have a home security system? In this case they would monitor as part of their fee.

Is this due to insurance requirements?

Its kinda rare to have home sprinkler systems, unless this is a vacation home not vacated or checked on for the majority of the year.

I will ask my friend who deal with this sort of thing.

For home use, I don't think anyone requires you to have a sprinkler system. Even so, I don't see why you would need monitoring to have it installed unless you are running a business.

Do you have a home security system? In this case they would monitor as part of their fee.

Is this due to insurance requirements?

Its kinda rare to have home sprinkler systems, unless this is a vacation home not vacated or checked on for the majority of the year.

We have a smoke alarm and security system that would use the landline telephone to connect to 24-hour monitoring.

But we have only cell phones.

And I wouldn't want to pay $35/month for monitoring, anyway.

Just wondering if home sprinkler systems also require monitoring.

If not, the potential for tremendous water damage is very great.

Edited by robert gift

Sprinklers can have a head of air and be activated and then purged of air by the incoming water or they can be filled with a antifreeze. sprinklers will only go off where the fire is contrary to popular movies. So the damage would be less then the alternative fire. a monitoring system is good but if it is not for you install water bugs. They are a device that puts out a audio alarm if even a 1/8 inch of water builds up on the floor. There are other monitoring systems that could be set up into a modem so that you are alerted by phone of any problem that occurs. All it takes is money

We have a smoke alarm and security system that would use the landline telephone to connect to 24-hour monitoring.

But we have only cell phones.

And I wouldn't want to pay $35/month for monitoring, anyway.

Just wondering if home sprinkler systems also require monitoring.

If not, the potential for tremendous water damage is very great.

Ok Robert, I am confused.

You have a home security system, that needs land lines which you don't have. Is it activated?

Why exactly do you feel the need for the sprinkler system?

The potential for damage is really not that great, unless the house is left unattended for long periods of time.

There is a large movement afoot by the NFPA to require sprinkler system in all new residential structures. They will not require retrofitting into older homes. System design can be for a wet or dry system that will eliminate any worry about pipes freezing in the attic space. The system maintains air pressure with a compressor to keep the system dry. If a sprinkler head opens, the air bleeds out and allows a check vale to open and allow water into the system to contain or extinguish a room & contents fire.

Most systems of this type are in the 10 -15 k range including a storage tank for water if you are on a well.

While having the system monitored for water flow is a good idea , it is not required to have a working system

If you live in a rural area with long response time by the local fire department you may want to consider the fact that often the sprinker system will detect and extinguish the fire long before the FD will arrive on scene after being notified by a random paserby that there are flames shooting out of your roof.

I have installed these system in new construction and the cost benefit is often saved by lower insurance premiums for the owner.

Thank you, everyone.

Just thinking about installing a home sprinkler system.

Some places are considering REQUIRING home sprinklers in new construction.

A home sprinkler system could protect us now, and perhaps increase the value of the house if/when we sell.

We live in the suburbs with domestic water supply.

I can figure a way to install drypipe sprinklers in the ceilings of the second floorooms (from the attic), and in the basement ceiling (which is exposed engineered floor joists).

To do the first floor ceiling would require much damage and patching since everything is drywalled.

Presumably a water flow switch can be connected to the existing smoke detector/security system.

The first occupants had monitoring.

The second occupants cancelled monitoring and we are not monitoring (but we still have the sign!)

Monitoring would require a telephone land line ($26/month) and

monitoring ($35/month) = $61/month which we cannot afford.

Does one ever do a home sprinkler system without monitoring?

For any insurance discount, I'd expect the insurance company to require monitoring.

Otherwise extensive water damage could occur.

The "water bug" idea is good, but what if it shuts off water before the fire is extinguished enough?

Another reason to have monitoring call the fire department.

If we do get a landline telephone, does anyone make a system which could call a cell phone?

That way I am saving $35/month doing my own "monitoring".

Thank you.

Edited by robert gift

Well if I had a home sprinkler system I would want it monitored just like ADT does with the alarms they maintain. I am not sure of the reasoning behind it in a private dwelling unless insurance companies want to add it because they are paying out too much for damages.

Do you have a link to the proposal so I can read what its all about?