Home Sprinklers: Your thoughts.

robert gift

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If not, the potential for tremendous water damage is very great.

But the fire damage would be less ? these are operative word9s) sprinkle systems not flood system, and it is not holly wood.

Many types of safeguards can be built in, limiting activation to the detected room, heat sensing, smoke sensing, frangible or fusible triggers, ps CO monitors not a bad idea either.

I would rather dry out my "stuff" than loose my life and if you did really have a fire pouring water from a 2.5 inch hose completes the total right off ... seriously if your out in the boonies its the only way to go.

Some places are considering REQUIRING home sprinklers in new construction.

AND about damn time!

This will save lives, property and lower insurance costs, but you seam to be more concerned about property than life ? ... if one looks to the research even fire detectors that alarm are useless, especially for kids .. they sleep right through them but hey not through a shower !

I have seen the Videos and If I can find somewhere hidden in my files ... it I will post it.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

I, for one, would love to have a sprinkler system. Yeah, it could soak my house and cause a ton of damage, but I'll bet it would be less than a fire. Around here few people can be bothered to call for help for anyone else anymore. That might require they get off their call about the shoes they bought last week which is far more important, especially while driving. They just figure the next guy/girl will make the call. There have been several incidents that I know of in my immediate area(lots of neighbors, heavy vehicular traffic) where automobiles wreaked into ditches will be there for 10-15 minutes before one single person can call for help, let alone stop and check on the occupants. So the long and short is, if you live in an area like mine it could really be a worthwhile investment.

That being said, are there systems that will use a chemical instead of water to extinguish a fire(like the stuff used in fire extinguishers) and if so would that cause any less damage?

Alert: Kids Sleep Through Fire Alarms

Inside a child’s bedroom a smoke alarm beeps shrilly. A 14 year-old boy stirs slightly; his 8-

year-old brother never awakens. Luckily, these boys weren’t in a burning house. But in this

simulation stated by the Norther Shore Fire Department in Milwaukee County, WI, six of eight

kids slept through piercing fire alarms. “Kids spend 30% of the night in extremely deep sleep.

They’re difficult to wake up, or are so disoriented they may hide or be unable to leave the house

in case of fire,” says Stephen Sheldon, DO, director of the Sleep Medicine Center at Children’s

Memorial Hospital in Chicago and cochair of a team researching better smoke alarms for kids.

House fires can double in size every 20 seconds; here’s how to get your kids out in time.

• Do the drill. Have a fire escape plan; practice twice a year.

• Plan for search and rescue. In the event of a fire, alert all children and be preparied to

help them escape. Check beds and hiding places. Practice assisting or carrying kids

outside.

• Maintain alarms so you’ll wake up. Test monthly; change batteries annually. Have at

least one 85-decibel alarm on each floor and outside all sleeping areas.

Ever see a kid sleep through a cold shower ... not my kids although getting them out of bed with the use of an electric "mosquito swatter" is way more twisted but a lot more fun.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_4153.aspx

http://www.channel3000.com/news/9150907/detail.html

http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp?categ...p;cookie_test=1

Squint:

For some real-life eye opening, I had a shower the other night and the smoke detector (basement) went off from the steam for the first time.

My 7 year old came running upstairs and said "I think there is a fire", My 4 y/o however, stayed sleeping sound as ever only about 15ft from the screaming detector.

Scared the crap outta me actually!

I had a shower the other night

Umm I most likely would have posted that differently ... te he .... TMI! :blink:

Seriously the original email was sent to me over 3 years ago actually, watching Kids sleep through 85 decibels was eye opening to me as well. I can't explain the reasoning, because audiologists couldn't explain it either ... I think something to do with under developed Limbic system .dunno really.

One can block out many things ie like living next to train tracks after a while the noise is ignored by the brain if its becomes familiar ... that said the woof of a bear or even breathing wakes me up with a startle.

cheers

Umm I most likely would have posted that differently ... te he .... TMI! :blink:

I am not embarrased, I shower on the 10th & 20th of each month whether I need it or not :o

...One can block out many things ie like living next to train tracks after a while the noise is ignored by the brain if its becomes familiar...

No kidding!!

My son sleep through our smoke alarm going off when he was around 5 or 6 yrs old. It was Halloween, and I had left a candle burning which then caught the holder on fire.

Since the alarm was so often used as a signal that dinner was ready, I guess he chose to ignore it.

Well if I had a home sprinkler system I would want it monitored just like ADT does with the alarms they maintain. I am not sure of the reasoning behind it in a private dwelling unless insurance companies want to add it because they are paying out too much for damages.

Do you have a link to the proposal so I can read what its all about?

A five are you nuts you get just as much fun out of ones only more