Fire Fighters / Volunteers Fight Against Education

spenac

Wonder what other education they fight against?

http://www.cbs7.com/news/details.asp?ID=12030

End of Volunteer Fire Departments? 4/27/09

CBS 7 News Staff

April 27, 2009

One new piece of legislation could bring an end to many West Texas volunteer fire departments.

Dallas Area Representative Yvonne Davis put in 2 sections to House bill 3390 that would require the Texas Commission on Fire Protection to increase minimum educational and training standards for volunteer fire fighters.

Although it sounds good on the surface, it would require personnel to receive nearly 350 more hours of training and force departments to buy new equipment.

Many volunteers have full time jobs and may not be willing or able to commit the time and may not be able to be on staff anymore.

Howard County Volunteer Fire Chief Tommy Sullivan says it could bring death to some departments.

“It'll really be detrimental to the county, not only Howard County but all of them in West Texas that volunteer firefighters are their fire protection,” says Sullivan.

Sullivan is encouraging everyone to contact their local Legislative representative and ask them to re-examine the bill.

Well...

Depends what kind of additional education. Like training volunteers in a town with 20, single story buildings, and a population of 50; to be high rise firefighters. Better education, updated practices, better funding, modern equipment, newer turnout gear and SCBA units, etc. Is always the answer. But education they need, in the area they cover, not what they need in places they'll never be. Break them up into districts, or regions, develop a needs assessment, and set a standard for each region. Everyone will be on the same page, and have the best equipment for their safety and the communities safety.

I just hope that decisions are made, based on the needs of those departments, now. Versus, unrelated studies from years past.

An example, locally; an agency got hold of a study of the needs of PA's volunteer fire companies, that was done in 1968. We had an oil truck refilling plant, large vats of oils for state highways, large vats of fuel for diesel locomotives, a grain elevator, a feed mill; all supplied to the town by a main line Railroad that ran up to 8 trains a day, in each direction. That was all gone, by 1972. The railroad went bankrupt, and pulled up the line, leaving nothing behind. He went through a check list of current training and equipment, and I answered honestly, and he was apalled at my answers. We're the largest, busiest, best equipped, manned and educated department in the area. He thought I was kidding.

I laughed, and asked what decade he was getting his information from. He went ape shit, until he listened to the actual facts, currently.. This 2007 study, which probably cost the state hundred of thousands of dollars, in an attempt to make millions of dollars.. was researched entirely based on the needs forty-one years ago.

In parts of California and elsewhere in the west, states agency's are subsidizing volunteer organizations to update and improve there training in both fire and ems. I think this also hold's true in SAR. This is done by paying there volunteers for training time and working out compensation packages with employers to cover lost employees. We have implemented the beginning of that system here and will improve it as funding is made available.

http://www.sffma.org/smarty/index.php?page...tion#objectives

I can see both sides of the argument here. on one side most volunteer departments struggle as is to get the minimum training complete for firefighter basic with current planned training that maybe once a week (4-5 hrs a session). Adding additional required training hours may further hinder the amount of manpower on scene which is already stretched thin. On the other hand I could also see how increasing training in other areas could prove beneficial. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by wrmedic82

I can see both sides of the argument here. on one side most volunteer departments struggle as is to get the minimum training complete for firefighter basic with current planned training that maybe once a week (4-5 hrs a session). Adding additional required training hours may further hinder the amount of manpower on scene which is already stretched thin. On the other hand I could also see how increasing training in other areas could prove beneficial. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Well, if my home is involved in a fire, I have the luxury of a paid, professional FD to respond. They are well trained, as that is their JOB. All they do is train and wait for a fire, MVC etc. I do not want to wait with hopes that a crew will respond because it's 3 in the morning and they have to go to work in the morning. Even if/when they eventually respond, I want them to be trained as if they where professional FF's. It doesn't matter that you volly, the job is the same. If they don't want to be trained to the same standards as everyone else, maybe it's a good thing that they will have to fold and be replaced by a professional dept. I'm surprised the IAFF hasn't jumped on this golden opportunity to increase membership and the dues that come with them.

Here's the thing. Most (not all, relax) Vollie FD's are comprised of the "Good Ol' Boy's" club. Some only want to be part of the dept. for the social aspect of it. Other's are way to eager and have been known to actually start fires because they have missed the action. I think, as with vollie EMS dept.'s, the end is near.

Makes me pleased I live in New Zealand lol. We have one national service and it is devided into regions through New Zealand. Every volunteer firefighter recieves a week in their basic training *now dont go spaz saying "what only one week"* there is about a months worth of pre course material to do with their brigade that they will be joining, a workbook, equipment familarisation etc. there is a designated training person on each station that goes through the workbook with them so when it comes to the weeks training, the hands on can be focused on more and learning the skills to get out there. Then after working in the communities for a few months, they are then able to apply for further courses such as driving courses, MVC extrication courses, line rescue courses etc. However, if their brigade or none of the surrounding ones have particular gear *such as the line rescue equipment* then they don't get offered the course because it is something not required for their area and those brigades often have something to focus on, such as some live in rural communities with nearest hospital miles and miles away, so these brigades learn advanced first aid/P.H.E.C to help on the medical assist calls more. Training is tailored to what sort of call volume and calls in their area and what sort of industry is there.

Its standardised training through the whole country, how do I know this, my dad wrote a big chunk of the packages and was a national instructor. I'm just saying what I've learnt and the vollies here get paid loss of wages for their courses *many take leave and are given plenty of notice about upcoming courses*. majority of our fire service is volunteer through out the country. It is human nature to think "oh crap the sirens going and I have work in four hours" but its a rewarding feeling to know you did something to help someone at that time and alot *not all* of employers support their local volunteer firefighters, as they get something out of it too, they get a staff member who has the qualifications for first aid, building safety, firefighting and they didn't have to pay a penny for their training.

Scotty

Well, if my home is involved in a fire, I have the luxury of a paid, professional FD to respond. They are well trained, as that is their JOB. All they do is train and wait for a fire, MVC etc. I do not want to wait with hopes that a crew will respond because it's 3 in the morning and they have to go to work in the morning. Even if/when they eventually respond, I want them to be trained as if they where professional FF's. It doesn't matter that you volly, the job is the same. If they don't want to be trained to the same standards as everyone else, maybe it's a good thing that they will have to fold and be replaced by a professional dept. I'm surprised the IAFF hasn't jumped on this golden opportunity to increase membership and the dues that come with them.

Here's the thing. Most (not all, relax) Vollie FD's are comprised of the "Good Ol' Boy's" club. Some only want to be part of the dept. for the social aspect of it. Other's are way to eager and have been known to actually start fires because they have missed the action. I think, as with vollie EMS dept.'s, the end is near.

I fully agree with you jake. In a perfect world all fire personnel (volly or pro) would be trained according to NFPA 1001 FF1 & FF2. But with volunteers thats hard to do. Some departments are good about only allowing certified personnel on the fireground. others not so much. Sad but true reality.