My gripe about EMT City

rat115

Ok..... Here I go. I've been a member here for about 3 years. I've used chat to ask questions that I would have prefered to post in the forums. The reason for this is that people here can't stick to the thread topic.

ALS vs BLS.....Volley vs Paid.....I can go on and on with the constant and STUPID debats. We've beat those horses to death!!!!!!!

Folks, you know it's a heck of a lot easier to learn if people can keep on topic and start another thread if you want to debate or to question something that's not supposed to be in the thread. When you add all the side convos in, people have to wade through all the BS to get to the grit that the thread was started about. That's what's ALWAYS put me off of reading any threads on this forum and why after years I don't have thousands of posts here. Hopefully, that will help some of you who keep dumping in threads to SHUT UP and start your own threads so the people who start their threads can get what they're looking for in them. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

AK, you're right about you get what you pay for. I miss chat. I miss being able to get answers to questions without all the bologna going on in the threads. I'm not asking for huggie-kissie crap. I'm asking for consideration for the person who started a thread, especially when it's in a forum where we're talking about EMS related things. In the non-EMS discussion forums, it's not normally very much of a distraction. Where a post has been started to educate, even if just the person who started a thread, it's a MAJOR distraction.

If I sound BITCHY, it's because I feel that way right now. I posted a thread to help me. I did get some help, but I had to wade through a lot of crap that didn't belong in that thread to get it. It just disgusts me that people here spout off about being professional but they can't help educate without adding digs to others because their views differ some but are overall the same.

Ok. I know someone will take a pot shot at me for this thread, but I'm just so tired of having to wade through all the side convos and beat to death debates in what's supposed to be an educational thread. Maybe Admin should put a catagory just for debates for everyone that likes to repeat these over and over.

Now, I've spoken how I feel. Hopefully, some of those who keep doing this will read this thread, NOT POST ON IT, and JUST GET A CLUE!

luv ya'll!

Ratty

I understand how you feel and you have every right to feel that way but consider this...

do you hit report on the unrelated/off topic threats that pop up? Or somehow notify the mods that this is happening in a particular thread? because if you're not, then you're just allowing it to happen and being quite passive. mods and admin can't go through and read everything there is in every single thread started on this site. they have lives other than the city as I am sure you are aware of. If we take more time and report off topic/unrelated replies then maybe people will get the point over time as their posts are pulled from the threads and potentially a message sent that the behavior is not appreciated...

just my 2 cents worth but try hitting reply and stepping up and taking some action against the behavior... and if you already do this than ignore this post...

Well, alike t.v. channels don't come on by themselves. I am sure you had to actually enter EMT City. Don't like the posts.. guess what you can do? There are many FIre and EMS forums I don't visit because of the Fire drool and lack of understanding of medicine by vollies. Yet, I won't bitch because its focused upon those specific interest and is their site.

R/r 911

Edited by Ridryder 911

That is what a forum is. It's a chat but not real time. You debate things, have conversations and just have a good time. People debate things in real life conversations, they get off topic in real life conversations. Topics will be brought up numerous times because people want to discuss things, again. People often talk about the same thing, all the time.

EMT city isn't the be all of EVERYTHING you must know or questions you have. Try seasoned Paramedics and EMTs whom you work with,check out other EMS forums,journals,your medical control etc etc etc etc. and last but not least google,the ultimate search power. I have met some awesome people from this site,but there's much out there. happy hunting :)

cheers rat

That is what a forum is. It's a chat but not real time. You debate things, have conversations and just have a good time. People debate things in real life conversations, they get off topic in real life conversations. Topics will be brought up numerous times because people want to discuss things, again. People often talk about the same thing, all the time.

Gotta wonder why the other forums I'm on don't have a problem with topics going SO FAR off as they do here.

Scuba....did what you suggested. Sent admin 10 different ones. Go figure that Ridryder was one of them that was the worst at being WAY off the topic.

EMT city isn't the be all of EVERYTHING you must know or questions you have. Try seasoned Paramedics and EMTs whom you work with,check out other EMS forums,journals,your medical control etc etc etc etc. and last but not least google,the ultimate search power. I have met some awesome people from this site,but there's much out there. happy hunting :)

cheers rat

I agree there are different ways to get information. This is one that can be excellent sometimes. I'd like to see it more often.

I also agree that there's some awsome people on here.

Sums it up quite nicely.

Take care,

chbare.

Don't even remember what thread OP is talking about (I'm sure there was a recent event that brought this up), but I do suppose admin might as a group decide if they want to increase lookout for thread derailments that could be restarted as a different thread (when admin splits an existing thread into two).

Because honestly keeping it semi on-topic does promote learning and that way you don't squash the side discussion that comes of it.

Of course, I'm talking about total thread derailments, not the small side discussion and natural conversations that come from any online discussion.

Gotta wonder why the other forums I'm on don't have a problem with topics going SO FAR off as they do here.

Scuba....did what you suggested. Sent admin 10 different ones. Go figure that Ridryder was one of them that was the worst at being WAY off the topic.

I agree there are different ways to get information. This is one that can be excellent sometimes. I'd like to see it more often.

I also agree that there's some awsome people on here.

You also want to choose your battles wisely. You may find your self in a position where you feel very strongly about making a point, and may consider making an off topic post. Your prior actions could come back and cause you grief. Not every discussion goes the way I want; however, it is a big community. Personal attacks, no; however, disagreement and discussion is going to occur.

Take care,

chbare.

Assuming this is about the "Opinion" thread... I just skimmed over it, the first two pages, every post but one is refrence the condition. They may have an aside built in, but the post is in response to the question.

You also made the decision to reply to the debate they started, so, I don't understand how you can gripe when you are part of the hijack.

Just my 2cents.jpg