Medic working on expired license.

I worked for a transport company in Michigan, I found out a medic was working on a expired license and refered this to my supervisor. the problem was we were short medics and the boss was letting her work

thinking she was able to work during a 60 day grace period. Once I advised them that i found out about

this they basically told me shut up or leave, I quit. What next, should I report this to anyone or just

move on.? Our service was 70 percent transfers 30 percent 911. Once again what would you do?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Had the individual actually been a Paramedic?

2) What does the Michigan DoH say about "Grace Periods" on expired licenses or certifications?

3) What does the Michigan DoH say about working during such "Grace Periods"?

FYI, here in New York State, at midnight of the day your "certs" (we're certified in title, not licensed) as either EMT or Paramedic expire, you are not allowed to practice in title. The "grace period" of one calendar year is to take the refresher classes and pass them, but until the individual does so, they cannot work, again, in title. The DoH will at least hold the "cert" number for them. If the calendar year goes by, and they don't get re-certified, they have to take a regular class to get the title again, and they get a new cert number. Horrors, they are considered "Newbies!"

Due to injury, I have been unable to complete my re-certifications a few times, but on taking the refresher classes at the earliest opportunities following being allowed by the doctors to go back, I have maintained my NYS DoH EMT certification number from 1974.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

That happened here at a transport company I used to work for. They let an EMT work for six months on an expired license. It was pretty ugly when it got exposed.

Medicare refused payment on the nearly 200 calls he had run. The company was fined for every one of those calls (The rumor was $1500 per call, but I don't know if that's true). The EMT then had to go before the diciplinary board in Nashville. The guy was a friend of mine too. Nobody knew what he was doing though, so we weren't in the delimma you're in.

Just imagine yourself doing it and not doing it. Do the one that makes you feel better about yourself.

Do the one that makes you feel better about yourself.

Do the one that keeps you certified. You have now publically let everyone know that you know so better talk now than get nailed later for covering up a crime.

Report it. I don't care how short this company is on medics, it is still illigal. And like stated in previous comments, if you don't say anything you could get into trouble too. I wouldn't go around talking about it however, that could also create problems you don't want. Be ready for employees of this company to somehow retalliate against you for speaking up.

Do the one that keeps you certified.

That should make you feel better about yourself.

Here's another thought. Suppose this former medic does something that lands him in court. Maybe it's something he did while you were there. Now suppose you get a subpeona. You have to testify that you knew he was unlicensed. Now there is another can of worms for ya.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.