Forgotten equipment

HERBIE1

I think the best thing they ever added to stretchers was an D-tank holder. I've left my portable oxygen on-scene twice.

As for students, I've left them at the hospital, never on-scene. Critical call, can't find the non-critical crew member when we're ready to leave, their loss. I've no desire to teach those that don't want to learn.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those who say there is "no justification" for leaving a student behind, I ask this: IF you get dispatched on an emergency run, and the student is not right there with you, how long are you going to search for him? Two minutes down, dispatch is nagging you for your status, and still no student. Now what?

NOmedic119 was on the right track when he suggested that ground rules be laid as soon as the student arrives. If the rules are clear, and the student disappears, that is his fail. If you just assumed that the student knew your arbitrary rules without ever discussing it with him or her, that is your fail.

Ive precepted many EMT students, and when they show up I introduce myself, ask them their name, then I explain to them the way myself and my partner do things, and what is expected of them when we get to a scene which includes them staying only a few feet from myself and that they should be actively involved in patient care, and if they are unsure of something to ask, and we can move forward from there.

I have had the unfortunate pleasure of precepting students every shift for the past 6 weeks or so, and 6 weeks ago I got a brand new partner who just became an EMT himself, this in itself has been a conflict. The service I work for prefers the senior person to drive, so I've been driving, mentoring a rookie and precepting a student. Yuck ..

As a Medic student I have had the crew leave an ACR and a patient on a stretcher with a FDNY Lieutenant (conditions boss) in the ER not triaged ... to go to a Cardiac arrest when BLS was asking for ALS dispatched responded no ALS available, the crew left the stretcher with the thought process of It only takes 1 stretcher to transport an arrest.

Slightly different take, here:

I was the patient, in the ER/ED, with a needle for IV in my elbow, saline "KVO", no bag or tube attached. The doctor "discharged" me.

10 minutes later, when he looked into the exam room and saw me still there, I had to ask him if he'd forgotten anything, and pointed to the IV needle.

Suffice to say, it was another incident witnessed by me of "Palm Smack to Forehead" syndrome!

Slightly different take, here:

I was the patient, in the ER/ED, with a needle for IV in my elbow, saline "KVO", no bag or tube attached. The doctor "discharged" me.

10 minutes later, when he looked into the exam room and saw me still there, I had to ask him if he'd forgotten anything, and pointed to the IV needle.

Suffice to say, it was another incident witnessed by me of "Palm Smack to Forehead" syndrome!

I'm confused as hell ... Saline KVO with no bag or tube? :wacko: Referring to a saline lock perhaps?

And I hate to pick on you but since I can, I certainly hope there wasn't a needle still in you only a catheter.