Improperly Dressed/Safery

FireMedic65

Just watched a news report filmed from the side of I-465 (think of the Indy500 for everyday folk).

The news reporter had her ANSI jacket in bright horrible ugly yellowgreen on. They CARE what they look like every day.

Why is it so hard to get us to use them?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched a news report filmed from the side of I-465 (think of the Indy500 for everyday folk).

The news reporter had her ANSI jacket in bright horrible ugly yellowgreen on. They CARE what they look like every day.

Why is it so hard to get us to use them?

No idea, we should want to wear stuff that makes us safe. I know I do.

I think local department culture has more to do with it than an industry wide thing. For example the management of the service I'm consolidating with and the others in the area took on high vis and helmets on roadways as a H&S issue right off that bat. The equipment was issued universally and it was made clear that not only was it policy, but that the service would be disciplining and/or suspending those that didn't abide. This was reinforced by the labour board which made the equipment mandatory and would fine individuals and the service for failure to wear proper gear. After a short transition period people stopped forgetting and it became the new normal. If you're wishy-washy and don't make a heavy push for change then your results will be inconsistent.

The example also needs to be set from top down. When the crews went his-vis, so did management, even though they rarely respond to scenes. If you're there properly decked out and the boss rolls up in shirt sleeves, what message does that send about the importance of safety?

I totally agree, in m fire co my officers use to start every year out saying the same thing and that they are going to change it.

But I find that each year they are the biggest offenders when it comes to not wearing gear. But I'm just as guilty I wear the jacket

try the helmet but I would take it off because there wasn't room. But exam gloves no I never wore exam gloves, I keep a pair of

ems black gloves. But we are never dressed right for the situation. So the only thing protected right was my hands. yicks!!! that

sad. I need to do better at protection myself. Thanks for the post!

2wheelie

What makes one incident ok and the other not? Why will firemen wear full SCBA on overhaul, but not on a natural cover fire? Why will a paramedic wear a whole glove, but cut the index finger tip off?

Huge difference.

Structural fires are often short duration incidents.

Wildfires are extended duration incidents.

Structural fires have complex and dangerous hydrocarbons burning.

Wildfires have natural brush burning.

I have fought both, including a brush fire in full PPE, including SCBA.

Unless you are on the front of a brush truck heading into the head of the fire to defend homes, there is no need for structural gear and SCBAs.

Yes, I know you are not supposed to do that.

Guess you never worked rural volly. Picture this...it's 2 a.m. and you are a ambu crew. Do you think the PT. cares what you wear to the scene?

I'd be willing to bet the patient does care. Would you rather be taken care of by a medical professional or a red neck straight out of deliverance? Besides that, there's the issue of pride. If you want to do this job (even as a hobby), then you need to dress the part every time.

I'd be willing to bet the patient does care. Would you rather be taken care of by a medical professional or a red neck straight out of deliverance? Besides that, there's the issue of pride. If you want to do this job (even as a hobby), then you need to dress the part every time.

Agreed. The "I'm a volunteer" excuse is used too often by individual providers as the reason not to meet a standard, whether it be uniform, PPE, or education.