Transitioning from Urban to Rural

I am currently a Paramedic in a mostly rural county in WV. My mother recently had a CVA, and I am the only one of my brothers and sister who is remotely close enough to help her with her day to day care. I have an opportunity to accept a job that is closer, and give me more time to help. I currently average 10+ true ALS calls a day, and if anything "goes south" my back up is no more than 10 minutes away here. The position I am looking at pays less, about the same hours, and in this rural setting I am the only ALS provider on duty in the county, so I have NO ALS back up. I am interested in any thoughts or opinions that the city crew might have for me.

I am currently a Paramedic in a mostly rural county in WV. My mother recently had a CVA, and I am the only one of my brothers and sister who is remotely close enough to help her with her day to day care. I have an opportunity to accept a job that is closer, and give me more time to help. I currently average 10+ true ALS calls a day, and if anything "goes south" my back up is no more than 10 minutes away here. The position I am looking at pays less, about the same hours, and in this rural setting I am the only ALS provider on duty in the county, so I have NO ALS back up. I am interested in any thoughts or opinions that the city crew might have for me.

I am sorry to hear that your mom has taken a back set. But some time you just have to do what you gotta do for family. We arent always given the life we want so we have to live the life we are given. And make sacrifices for the ones we love. But hon I do know that you are a great MEDIC and if a call is really that bad that you would need back up chances are the extra help wont make that big a difference. If you need me you know how to get in contact with me. I am just a text or phone call away. Even if its just to vent cry on my shoulder or yell at me I am here for you!

Something for your mom:

gw1.jpg

Hey,

WV is a tough area to work - alot of it is rural. However, as someone who has done the all BLS county thing with no backup for as much as 45 min if needed ALS or also been the only medic on duty for a whole county with surrounding being BLS, it's tough. You need to have really strong skills to make it and give the best care for your patients. If you are a new medic, I advise against it. However, that being said, I LOVE rural medicine. Really gives one a chance to learn how to manage a patient for long periods of time and get to know the course the human body can take. People in rural areas also seem to be just pretty daggone cool !

Also, sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well. Hope things settle for you. Good luck whatever you decide !

Sorry to hear about your mother. You need to do what is best for you and the family. Working same hours for less pay and busier? That is no good for you. Is there a possibility for home care nurse or assisted living? That may be the best. If she needs someone to help her, it may be best for her to be in a place where she could be looked after. I know, it's sad and I am really sorry for her.

I am sorry, I do not understand your question. Are you the only ALS provider or are you a BLS provider with no ALS backup ? I am not understanding why you would need ALS backup if you are an ALS provider ?

I thought my OP stated I was a paramedic? Maybe it was confusing. I shoud probably have clarified about the ALS back up issue, I probably should have stated an additional unit, because if the patient "goes south" sometimes extra hands are a blessing. I would be the only ALS provider on duty in the county, I would be partners with a CPR/Driver, and in the only ambulance in the county. I am confident in my skills, and would provide the best patient care that I can. I posted this in rural EMS to get thoughts and input from rural EMS providers who may be the only paramedic within the county.

Edited by TheOldMan

I thought my OP stated I was a paramedic? Maybe it was confusing. I shoud probably have clarified about the ALS back up issue, I probably should have stated an additional unit, because if the patient "goes south" sometimes extra hands are a blessing. I would be the only ALS provider on duty in the county, I would be partners with a CPR/Driver, and in the only ambulance in the county. I am confident in my skills, and would provide the best patient care that I can. I posted this in rural EMS to get thoughts and input from rural EMS providers who may be the only paramedic within the county.

First, good luck with Mom- it's tough. Been through it myself.

I'm an urban medic but Ill throw my nickel's worth in anyway.

Well, it sounds like you have 2 problems. First, there is a professional issue, where you would like to keep up the volume of ALS calls to keep your skills sharp, but in a less populated/more rural area, that will be a problem. Second, you need to be closer to mom for obvious reasons. If you are confident in your skills, I wouldn't worry about the longer back up time. You simply do the best you can.If you can afford the pay cut, then you do what's best for your mom- that's the bottom line. Family first.

Edited by HERBIE1

At times I am the only paramedic on call in my community and I pray on those days that nothing is going to through. When they do I do what i can do to the best of my ability and in reality have been very lucky so far.

As for your mom I hope everything gets better for her and yourself. I have to agree with Aaron on the fact that taking care of a loved one is a very nobal deed indeed but you have to know that you will not be able to do it on your own. I have done this, and it was only for 2 weeks, after I became very ill myself because I thought I could do it all and wouldn't take the help. You are going into a very physical and emotional situation in your life and please take any help from those who are willing to help you.

Good luck in your life old man.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.