Did the officer over react?

itku2er

There is no argurement here that the Officers were doing their jobs. But shouldn't compassion for your fellow human be put into play somewhere?

But to add on to Dusts point. Is compassion worth the chance that momma in the back seat might be faking it and have a semi automatic weapon and shoot you?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two woman from the hospital came out. One spoke to the officer around 7:40min; and the other 13:15min. The first lady said that they need him to fill out something, in order for them to do something about resuscitation.. and the cop does nothing for 6 minutes. Yes, PD was doing their job.. But having the info that he had, then waiting? What a cold hearted bastard.

I am in no way justifying this officers action. Their jobs is to uphold the law, this person ran a red light, what if one of your loved ones was t-boned by this guy?

Once at the hospital, the officer needs to be able to process the information. Which I dont think he accomplished.

As far as the person in the back seat of the car possibly having a weapon, that is a valid point. Maybe the recent shooting in Oakland played a part in his decision making.

Its a tough situation. Officers are put in situations everyday where decision making is crucial. One wrong decision could cost them or someone else their life. They have to be thorough. What if this guy walked into the ER guns blazing to finish off some gang banger and took 15 innocent people with him in the process?

Granted when the nurse came out to confirm the story. That should have been a indication that maybe this guy was telling the truth.

Just my opinion.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Powell-Re...Department.html

Powell Resigns From Dallas Police Department

By FRANK HEINZ

Updated 11:47 AM CDT, Wed, Apr 1, 2009

After issuing a public apology last week, Robert Powell has resigned his position with the Dallas Police Department.

officer1.jpg

Robert Powell resigned from the Dallas Police Department April 1 after drawing heavy criticism for delaying a man from visiting his dying mother-in-law.

The announcement was made just before noon Wednesday and Powell released the following statement:

"With a heavy heart and great sadness, I resigned from the Dallas Police Department this morning.

I made this decision in the hope that my resignation will allow the Dallas Police Department, my fellow officers, and the citizens of Dallas to better reflect on this experience, learn from the mistakes made, and move forward.

I still hope to speak with the Moats family to personally express my deep regret, sympathy, and to apologize for my poor judgment and unprofessional conduct.

I also want to apologize to my fellow officers. I have sincere respect and admiration for the men and women of the Dallas Police Department and the work they perform daily, and I wish them well."

Powell has been under intense criticism after he delayed Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats and his family from entering a hospital where Moats' mother-in-law was dying.

Moats was stopped for running a red light, but Powell lectured and delayed the man from entering the hospital for more than 15 minutes -- even after hospital personnel validated Moats' claims.

Moats' mother-in-law passed before he was able to visit with her. Despite that, Moats accepted Powell's apology on Monday morning.

Powell's actions "embarrassed" the Dallas Police Department, according to Police Chief David Kunkle, and he should have been terminated, according to Dallas City Councilmember Angela Hunt.

"Powell's behavior indicates a lack of common sense and common decency, and he should not continue to serve on our police force," Hunt wrote in her online blog.

Since the incident with Moats became public last week, former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Zach Thomas stepped forward and said Powell mistreated and arrested his wife after she made an illegal U-Turn last July.

Powell had been placed on paid leave pending the results of an internal police investigation.

Edited by Dustdevil

Dust, what is your opinion about this outcome?

He didn't really have a choice in the matter. But it was still the honourable thing to do. Certainly the best thing for his reputation and future.

Moats is a better man than I am; I can GUARANTEE I will NEVER be caught speeding to the aid of my mother-in-law. Loitering, maybe. Speeding, never.

LOL! I suppose someone had to say this sooner or later. :lol: