What makes cars explode?

Michael

I have difinatly seen fuel tanks, radiators, hydraulic resivoirs, and oil pans "rupture", that is.... a crack or hole forms expelling the fluid resulting in a small stream of firefluid (ya antifreeze does burn).

I as well have never seen a gas tank BLEVE, but I have had tires, bumper shocks, nitrogen struts, hatchback shocks, pencil torchs, and driveshafts explode during vehicle fires.

There are more and more gas tanks being made out of plastic nowadays anyway.

You should be more worried about a propane tank in the trunk if there is an explosion at the rear of the car.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have difinatly seen fuel tanks, radiators, hydraulic resivoirs, and oil pans "rupture", that is.... a crack or hole forms expelling the fluid resulting in a small stream of firefluid (ya antifreeze does burn).

I as well have never seen a gas tank BLEVE, but I have had tires, bumper shocks, nitrogen struts, hatchback shocks, pencil torchs, and driveshafts explode during vehicle fires.

There are more and more gas tanks being made out of plastic nowadays anyway.

You should be more worried about a propane tank in the trunk if there is an explosion at the rear of the car.

Interesting!

What kind of antifreeze burns?

What in the drive shaft exploded?

What are pencil torches?

Thank you.

Interesting!

What kind of antifreeze burns?

What in the drive shaft exploded?

What are pencil torches?

Thank you.

With enough heat all antifreeze will burn (this was Diesel engine that I saw)

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1UCC1 See "Flashpoint"

A driveshaft is a sealed cylinder, it can rupture same as any other.

D. APPROACHING THE VEHICLE ON FIRES

1. Shock-Absorbing Bumpers - Beware when approaching from the front or back of vehicle. They can give away and swing around, cutting off legs of approaching responders! They’ll usually let go on one side and pivot around from the stationary side. Leave room for the swinging bumper. Approach that area from a 45-degree angle.

2. Driveshaft - It’s hollow inside; if it’s an old one, it can blow up. A blown driveshaft can throw shrapnel up to 15 feet and even through the vehicle.

3. Struts and cylinders that hold up hoods and hatches can explode suddenly.

http://www.johnsoncitytn.org/uploads/Docum...cle%20Fires.pdf

A pencil torch is this: http://www.torchbrazing.com/torch-brazing-...e-torch-kit.jpg

As Mobey mentioned, I'm way more worried about a shock or strut flying out at my shins than I am about the car "exploding."

I've seen a gas tank fail during a car fire, it's not that spectacular. There's a noise, and all of a sudden there's fuel all over the ground. Yeah, ok, it's burning fuel, but nothing "exploded."

Thank you all for the helpful explosion of replies!

Do I understand correctly, then, that with the possible exceptions of professional racing cars, tankers, and fuel-containers stored in a vehicle's cab or trunk, in MVCs:

1) fires occur only immediately on impact, and that

2) tires or whatever else that might explode will do so only during a pre-existing fire, and that

3) a vehicle not already on fire is therefore safe to approach?

So under what circumstances do firefighters hose down engine-blocks? I interpreted what I saw as preventive, but did I simply arrive after the flames had been extinguished?

Depends, you can have fuel or other fire hazards depending on the scene. So, the threat of fire is possible well after the accident. Another overlooked threat is airbags. This is actually a big problem with newer vehicles that have air bags placed in every possible location. No longer can you simply disconnect the battery to deactivate these devices.

Fire is a potential threat; however, I have yet to see a car explode during the last 13 years. Actually, the only exploding cars I have seen were Kabul taxi cabs.

Take care,

chbare.

Fire is a potential threat; however, I have yet to see a car explode during the last 13 years. Actually, the only exploding cars I have seen were Kabul taxi cabs.Take care,chbare.

:):)

Most of been a bad model year, as I recall a few of those doing that very thing. Maybe they do not do manufacturer recalls in Afg?

LOL, Yeah, I would steer clear of any of the Corollas from the 1980's. Especially ones with bad yellow paint jobs and Kam/Safi air stickers on the back window.

Take care,

chbare.