Should EMS report Illegal Aliens?

spenac

Would you report an Illegal that needed medical care?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you report an Illegal that needed medical care?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • It is unethitical
    • It is my patriotic duty to report
  2. 2. Would you provide needed medical care despite above answer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Whos going to pay for his treatment?

So heres the case. You are called for a heart attack. A patient that has no ID walks up to ambulance and says chest hurts. You run 12 lead and find PSVT, 200pulse, BP 146/100, cool,pale, moist skin, resp 24, clutching chest, but can still talk in short sentences. So in talking you realize obviously this guy needs medical care but also that he is illegally in the USA.

So what would you do? Treat him? Refuse him? Report him? Take him to hospital and say nothing? What?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I believe that the proper path to citizenship for illegals is to go home and come back the legal way, I can not justify reporting an illegal immigrant found while on duty nor can I justify not treating an illegal.

I'm not an immigration enforcement officer. I'm a medical provider. Sick person: gets treated, no matter what. Remember that little thing called the hippocratic oath?

What am I gonna do, ask for their green card before I take them to the hospital? Not really my problem. The hospital can deal with it, involving authorities if necessary. Or I can make an anonymous tip if I'm really hung up on this guy not really belonging here. Having grown up surrounded by illegals, I can't say I've got a hard-on for seeking out people to report... as long as they're working and contributing to society instead of peddling drugs or sucking welfare, I can't say I mind too much.

Speak English, work, contribute. Beyond that... *shrugs*

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I agree with Wendy. It is not our job to seek out illegal citizens. I will treat any patient that needs my help, regardless of where the person is from, if they are visiting or living here illegally. It's not my place to even ask. I don't remember in my schooling anywhere that asking the patient if they were here legally was part of my assessment.

I agree with Wendy. It is not our job to seek out illegal citizens. I will treat any patient that needs my help, regardless of where the person is from, if they are visiting or living here illegally. It's not my place to even ask. I don't remember in my schooling anywhere that asking the patient if they were here legally was part of my assessment.

But you do ask for an address. Often they will say they do not have one or will say its in Mexico, Hondurus, Canada :P , etc.

Did you realize that the feds will reimburse like medicaid not much but some of medical care provided to illegals but you have to have some proof of country like their drivers license from their home land. You do not report them but at the end of month during billing you submit the info and get some reimbursement. There is nothing illegal about asking for social security and license for your paperwork.

I didn't mean it like that :) Of course I ask them for their info ie address, ss# and all that stuff. Although, to go with the question at hand, I am not overly concerned about where they live with they are having chest pains and such vitals. :P

I do see your point and it does makes perfect sense.

I didn't mean it like that :) Of course I ask them for their info ie address, ss# and all that stuff. Although, to go with the question at hand, I am not overly concerned about where they live with they are having chest pains and such vitals. :P

I do see your point and it does makes perfect sense.

Unless they have been in the USA for years it becomes obvious pretty soon whether they are legal or not w/o even asking.

And I don't care either other than for billing. The sad thing is some illegals in labor have been told that their babys will be taken away from them if they are caught. These girls actually are the quitest deliverys of babys you'll ever get because they fear that if they cause you problems you will report them.

Unless they have been in the USA for years it becomes obvious pretty soon whether they are legal or not w/o even asking.

And I don't care either other than for billing. The sad thing is some illegals in labor have been told that their babys will be taken away from them if they are caught. These girls actually are the quitest deliverys of babys you'll ever get because they fear that if they cause you problems you will report them.

I suppose the lack of English being spoken should set off a few bells in ones head, but it's still not a for sure thing.

Also, I thought if the child was born on American soil, they were an American citizen? Or am I missing something here?

I'm not an immigration enforcement officer.

Not good enough. That's a cop out (no pun intended). You're not a cop either, but I suspect that you would report a rape, assault, robbery, burglary, arson, or other crime to authorities. You're using situational ethics to justify ignoring one crime but reporting others. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

hell yes i'd treat

hell yes I'd report

I'm not a immigration officer but it's my civic duty to report illegals according to some.

I'm going to report no matter what anyone says.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.