Should EMS report Illegal Aliens?

spenac

Would you report an Illegal that needed medical care?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you report an Illegal that needed medical care?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • It is unethitical
    • It is my patriotic duty to report
  2. 2. Would you provide needed medical care despite above answer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Whos going to pay for his treatment?

I suppose the lack of English being spoken should set off a few bells in ones head, but it's still not a for sure thing.

Also, I thought if the child was born on American soil, they were an American citizen? Or am I missing something here?

Actually some speak better English than I do, but that may not be saying much. :P

Yes there babys are allowed citizenship, just some people that lie to them that they will lose their babys. Usually its people that charge them money to help them break the law by entering the USA illegally. There has been a law proposed don't know if it ever passed that was going to do away with automatic citizenship for babys of illegals.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't refuse care to anyone, no matter what. if you didn't that's neglect.. NO matter whether they are illegal or not, they still have right to care, just like every other person. (Notice i didn't say anything about a right to be in America, that's a different issue and I'm NOT going there.)

If I've got time to report it and I feel it is necessary, I will... but I stand by what I said. My first responsibility above all others here is to provide patient care. No, I'm not a cop either, and no, I won't report a rape for a patient who decides they don't want to go through legal channels...

If I see an arson, burglary, etc in progress, yes I will call the cops. If I see someone lighting up a joint, no, I'm not going to call the cops. That's also something illegal, and I know it is... but it's not really my problem and it's not a direct threat to someone.

If I reported every single person I suspected to be an illegal immigrant, I'd have precious little time to do anything else. I'm not kidding.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Sure I would treat them that is what my job would be. Report them YES, because they are breaking the law. Just because they are here illegally doesnt mean that they should stay here illegally. Do it like everyone else apply for citizenship marry an americian but be in this country leagally. *end of rant*

No, I'm not a cop either, and no, I won't report a rape for a patient who decides they don't want to go through legal channels...Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wow, you are the last person I would expect to hear this from.

Is there not a law that obligates you to report this regardless of the patient's desires? I mean after all, they could be experiencing some serious inner issues and may not know what is best for them at this time. Their psyche could be severely traumatized at that moment and you are going to aid them in keeping silent? Just curious...

Seems to me that line of thinking could cause a lot of gray areas down the road.

Ok, so if not a legal obligation to report, what about a moral or ethical one?

Follow me here:

How would you know they were raped unless the patient told you?

Now that the patient has told you, are you not obligated to write it in your report? If not, then you are ok with falsifying reports?

Would you not mention it to the doctor who takes over care? I mean it is an assessment finding, so wouldn't you relay what you had been told? It is extremely pertinent to the patient's proper care and treatment, no?

Ok, so if not a legal obligation to report, what about a moral or ethical one?

Nope. I didn't witness it. If she wants to report it, she's got a phone. If she does not want to report it, then it's not my business. I've got enough paperwork to do without being her secretary.

Nope. I didn't witness it. If she wants to report it, she's got a phone. If she does not want to report it, then it's not my business. I've got enough paperwork to do without being her secretary.

Sorry that excuse does not work.

If it is part of your physical assessment, do you mean to tell me you will NOT pass it on?

If a patient with chest pain says he was hit by a bat by his wife, would you not pass it on? Is that not relevant to the nature of the injury?

The answer is yes you would pass it on because it is extremely pertinent information; however by passing it on, you are also possibly incriminating the spouse with domestic violence whether that is your intent or not. You would not neglect this little nuigget of information.

The same holds true with the rape victim. If she tells you she was raped, it will go in your report and the recieving physician will be notified. To do anything less is sloppy and negligent on your part as a medical professional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.