The Ultimate Wacker Kit (no Joke) 5k Spent On It

mmeronk

I think if anyone is attacking it is you sir. As I recall you attacked saying that I work in a mother may I system.I agree this post has gotten way off base,I think one of the original sticking points was the "STOMP 2" pack that started this post and obviously our "Non paramedic" friend has gotten off on a tangent and I was lured in by his attitude. My apologies to all,I am finished.

The only tangent was yours you want a be a real medic. You asked questions. I answered. I mentioned what a system like yours is called based even on your description. No tangent. Sorry you fail.

This whole topic was a complete waste of everyones time but interesting to see some of the ways people think. Also easy to see many can not think out of their limited box based. As soon as anything out of their comfort zone they lost it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to agree Zip up the pee pee. Now to the ones who have decided to be the pricks. Maybe you should go back to school and learn how to play nice in the school yard. We here dont mind a bit of pushing and shoving but you guys need a dam good slap. As someone from the most western wild west we learn how to think outside of the box and be prepared. When I go to the beach in the Big Truck with Big Tires yes i do have extra things in it because you city folk come to the country and do the stupidest things like go on the beach with your quads and hit the Big logs and die. So before you mouth off because someone is able to exam, treat, and be prepared, you should think outside of your little box. Well anyways you get the point im sure. Traitor you just keep doing what you do best. B)

This just made me need to go pee pee. :hug:

People, BEHAVE!

I work as BLS, in a 2 tier BLS/ALS system, with the ALS having both standing orders and specific medical areas where "Mother/Father, May I" orders apply. I also am admittedly spoiled by being usually no further away from an ER than 15 minutes, or a half hour from a trauma center, and about one hour from a burn, replant, or a re-compression center, without any HEMS being needed or required.

I would be, by my current level of training and/or experience, uncomfortable working in areas where, even with HEMS, transport from the scene to nearest ER takes over an hour. I would guess that in some areas of Alaska, or other areas of the world, that would be the norm.

However, my Paramedics, for what they do, and where they do it, are just as good as the Paramedics who routinely do the longer transports in "the wilderness", for what THEY do, and where they do it.

Under both circumstances, they all are "Real Paramedics".

However, my Paramedics, for what they do, and where they do it, are just as good as the Paramedics who routinely do the longer transports in "the wilderness", for what THEY do, and where they do it.

Under both circumstances, they all are "Real Paramedics".

Richard they may be real good at what they do as Paramedics. I think the biggest difference is the way we that are more than an hour from the nearest hospital have to think. I have seen several city medics come here and try and leave after the first bad call working on trying to keep someone alive for over an hour. Or the first time they have a cardiac patient and an OB patient in active labor in the ambulance at the same time because no other ambulance is in the area they really freak out.

Also based on protocols that I have seen most times wilderness medics have a lot more drugs and treatments that they have to be educated in. Can the city medics do it? Yes some of them can, but others can't.

Spen, you did note I said, as an EMT, I, personally would be uncomfortable with the longer transport times, due to me being used to the short transport times of my geographic service area (the city of New York).

There is the story of 2 WW2 US Army soldiers, one a city guy, the other, a so called country hick. They were patrolling together in Italy, when they entered a barn on a farm. The man they encountered was milking a cow.

"City" spoke the Italian language, and briefly spoke with the man. He seemed no threat.

When they were leaving, "Country" suddenly turned and fired his rifle at the man, killing him. The man, on body search, was found to have a German hand gun, and German Army identification cards, in his pocket.

"How did you know?", "City" asked "Country".

"He was milking the cow from the wrong side."

Days later, "Country" walked, alone, into an alley in a town, and was suddenly surrounded by "unfriendlies". Just as they were about to grab him, "City" suddenly appeared, with a couple of other soldiers, breaking up the ambush.

Seemed "City" had recognized the signs of trouble "Country" would not have known about due to the different upbringing.

Both had, due to their individual backgrounds, separate and special things ingrained into them, but, ultimately, knew their jobs.

Putting that into an EMS framing, I know how to work in crowds, but might have problems with a snakebite, with the reverse from a "Country Cousin" I might be working with. Presumably, we'd combine our knowledge to get the job done. Neither is "better" than the other, just better skilled in different specifics, covering for each other, to the benefit of both, and, of course, the care a patient gets.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Richard,

That's probably one of the more thoughtful posts I've seen yet on this thread. It's true - we both do what we do best in our areas. I'm lost urban and didn't enjoy it a bit. Rural is where my heart is - throw you in my territory 2 hours from any real care, and you might have a harder time. It's not about who's better than who, it's about the right one for the situation. Good post !

Spen, you did note I said, as an EMT, I, personally would be uncomfortable with the longer transport times, due to me being used to the short transport times of my geographic service area (the city of New York).

Neither is "better" than the other, just better skilled in different specifics, covering for each other, to the benefit of both, and, of course, the care a patient gets.

Rich I did but I responded to the other part of your comments about your Paramedics.

I agree neither is better I just pointed out the difference in thinking. Even when doing clinicals in the citys I have to change my thinking because the citys do more load and go to hospital rather than on site treatment.

I would have to agree with Richard's 'City/Country post'.

It shouldn't be about who's the 'better medic', but a culmination of both partner's experiences and strengths working together for the benefit of the patient!

I've seen so many threads break down to chest thumping, degree waving and outright name calling and bashing. It proves NOTHING!

Regardless of whether your primary service area is considered 'urban' or 'rural', we're all on the same side....and that is to help our patients to the best of our abilities (whatever the level of licensure or affiliation), and still maintain our scope of practice; however limited we are by our protocols.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.