The Ultimate Wacker Kit (no Joke) 5k Spent On It

mmeronk

I have a bandaid in my glove box.

Seriously though, the issue isn't bandaids, gauze, or even tylenol. The biggest issue I see with this bag is the 300 mg of Morphine. That's enough narcotic to kill several horses. You could park every ambulance in my company on the lot and we wouldn't have 300 mg of Morphine between us all. Keep in mind I work urban EMS, so there are a lot of trucks to park.

We order 30 vials of 10mg Morphine at a time. They are all placed in the ambulance lock box. So at times with the last of previous order plus new order we have well over 300mg on 1 ambulance. We never get below 50mg on an ambulance.

We order 30 vials of 10mg Morphine at a time. They are all placed in the ambulance lock box. So at times with the last of previous order plus new order we have well over 300mg on 1 ambulance. We never get below 50mg on an ambulance.

And the point of that is....? :huh: :huh:

And the point of that is....? :huh: :huh:

That his service either doesn't have many ambulances contrary to his claim or he is unaware of how many vials it takes to add up to 300mg of morphine.

Maybe he will reconsider because if you have morphine on the ambulance you need at minimum 2 vials. A lot of ambulances brings to my mind more than 20 ambulances. So there should be at minimum levels per ambulance a total of 400mg of morphine if they are all together.

Also just showing it's not as much as some claim. So really 300mg is not a big deal.

First, I am not, nor have I ever been a "him." So you've got one wrong.

Secondly, we run 12 ALS trucks and 4 BLS trucks at peak hours. We carry 20 mg Morphine on each ALS truck. That's 240 mg of morphine. We ran roughly 70,000 calls in the city last year. I'd call that a pretty rocking urban system.

300 mg of morphine is a lot of morphine. In fact, it's 30 doses of morphine. If you stock that much morphine, good on you, but we don't need that type of stock where I work. You claim you work in a very rural system with multi-hour long transports. You can't run that many calls if it takes that long to complete them. How you need 300 mg per truck is beyond me. You know though, I didn't call you out on any of that stuff and claim that you're full of crap regarding how much morphine you stock. Honestly, I don't give a rats behind how much you stock.

My point was the same as several others here, that person is carrying a damn lot of morphine, period.

I'm not interested in peeing in the wind with you. You don't know everything, despite what you think.

First, I am not, nor have I ever been a "him." So you've got one wrong.

Secondly, we run 12 ALS trucks and 4 BLS trucks at peak hours. We carry 20 mg Morphine on each ALS truck. That's 240 mg of morphine. We ran roughly 70,000 calls in the city last year. I'd call that a pretty rocking urban system.

300 mg of morphine is a lot of morphine. In fact, it's 30 doses of morphine. If you stock that much morphine, good on you, but we don't need that type of stock where I work. You claim you work in a very rural system with multi-hour long transports. You can't run that many calls if it takes that long to complete them. How you need 300 mg per truck is beyond me. You know though, I didn't call you out on any of that stuff and claim that you're full of crap regarding how much morphine you stock. Honestly, I don't give a rats behind how much you stock.

My point was the same as several others here, that person is carrying a damn lot of morphine, period.

I'm not interested in peeing in the wind with you. You don't know everything, despite what you think.

Excuse me. You need to find a prozac.

I pointed out how easy it is to total 300mg using your statements. I did not call you out. I made a freaking illustration using your statements. Wow if you had 3 more ALS units I would have been right. Now we see you do not have a lot of ambulances. So because you have less than 300mg yay for you.

We have all on the ambulance because it makes more sense than keeping enough to go the trip to the hospital then on the way back get another call and not have any. Its locked up in the ambulance rather than in the station. Makes it nice when you have multiple trauma patients or even multiple cardiac patients. We keep multiple patients worth of all our drugs.

Also 10mg is not 1 dose in most cases. Most doses are 2-5mg then titrate to relief. But I know you knew that just did not want to confuse someone with your misstatement and have someone cause respiratory depression.

Sorry for using proper English (for once) which uses masculine terms for unkown person.

I did not invite you to go peeing in the wind with me. Personally I find that is something I prefer not to share with others. I never tried to get into a pissing match just trying to put numbers into perspective as some have gotten their panties in a wad over the way this guy has chosen to spend his money.

I never have claimed to know everything, nor do I think I do. Have a nice day.

Wow! That makes me very nervous...I am a trained person and I wouldn't want some of that stuff in my personal possession. I can't imagine that he knows and understands the administration of IV dose medication...'oh this looks like enough dilaudid...oops they stopped breathing, let me get my airway kit'. Not to mention the fact that he probably doesn't even know how to establish IV access being as he mentions little or no medical training.

I think that we all can agree on one thing here. This guy is better stocked than some ambulances. However what doctor in there right mind would give him all of this stuff? Also how did he get all the ETT tubes and the IV stuff and so on and so forth? Can we say DEA NOW!!!! Hmm sounds like an idiot going to jail. Even as a medic I don't know that many people would want the responsibility of keeping that in there personal posession. Seriously all the paperwork and the cost. WTF WTF WTF WTF?????!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That his service either doesn't have many ambulances contrary to his claim or he is unaware of how many vials it takes to add up to 300mg of morphine.

Maybe he will reconsider because if you have morphine on the ambulance you need at minimum 2 vials. A lot of ambulances brings to my mind more than 20 ambulances. So there should be at minimum levels per ambulance a total of 400mg of morphine if they are all together.

Also just showing it's not as much as some claim. So really 300mg is not a big deal.

Actually, 300mg in one vial is a very big deal. You may carry 300mg on an ambulance, but they are in separate single dose vials, not one vial. This sort of vial is begging for a medication error. If you are in an EMS system and want to give 300mg of morphine, there will be a nagging voice in the back of your head telling you to check your math as you line up dozens of vials. These types of medication errors due to mistaken concentration have been implicated in deaths from all sorts of medications (including morphine, and most recently, heparin). Add also that the guy carrying this may not understand the difference in efficacy between IV and PO forms, and may give too much for that reason too. I am not a fan of multi-dose vials of any medication, much less one as fraught with disaster as morphine.

10mg IV is an appropriate dose for many people. While many providers (docs, nurses, medics) get the idea that any more than 5mg of morphine will stop your breathing and kill the patient and revoke your paramedic license and reprogram your DVR and spook your pets, multiple studies in adults and children have demonstrated the safety and efficacy of 0.1mg/kg of IV morphine for pain relief. So she's right, 10mg is a dose. An appropriate dose meant to reduce pain, not a homeopathic dose meant to make the provider feel better.

'zilla

Can you imagine, someone who got their medical training out of the "where there is no doctor" book? Dr. Kevorkian School of Field Medicine. I only seen a 15mg vial of MS; still, disaster or not, I see accidental death written all over that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.