12 Leads And Analysis

Even with our static monitors here in CCU we get similar messages and as many of the fine posters before me have said, its down to your individual reading of the patient, the signs and symptoms and then the monitor to make a diagnosis of ACS.

The amount of patients we have been having lately showing collateral ST elevation on the monitors and associated chest pain and are actually in coronary artery spasm is amazing. Hence I dont call them as an MI until I get a trop back, I just use the Term ACS instead.

all this means is that the frankly pretty poor automatic interpretation thinks there is too much artifact ...

the cardiologists had the medical equipment people turn the automaticinterpretation off on everything in the Hospital with automatic interpretation because even with brilliant quality traces from a diagnostic machine running off interna l batteries etc etc etc it;s still usually wrong

all this means is that the frankly pretty poor automatic interpretation thinks there is too much artifact ...

the cardiologists had the medical equipment people turn the automaticinterpretation off on everything in the Hospital with automatic interpretation because even with brilliant quality traces from a diagnostic machine running off interna l batteries etc etc etc it;s still usually wrong

We have the ability to disable interpretation on our machines if we wish, we leave it on though as its fun to compare the human eye to the machine ;)

Someone correct me if I am wrong.. but I could have sworn I seen one of our medics back in school doing a calibration on the monitor. Not sure if this was for the 12 lead or what. Maybe you could look into that as a possibility. Otherwise, I would definitely like to hear the cause and solution to this issue. Would hate to miss a STEMI due to a faulty monitor or treat one that isn't. :)

Someone correct me if I am wrong.. but I could have sworn I seen one of our medics back in school doing a calibration on the monitor.

Our monitor is serviced on a regular schedule by the manufacturer. Software updates, calibration of NIBP, replaces anything broken like a ripped side pocket, etc.

Just food for thought, sometimes alot of artifact is attributed to lead placement. Just something to check out. If your patient is having CP. I personally would treat the patient and not the monitor. I do not see the need to dick around on scene with a ECG monitor and delaying definitive care. Another ECG will be done at the hospital anyway. So trying to figure out whether your monitor is on the fritz or not on scene is delaying care. Lets say there is no ST elevation, depression or whatever, does this completely rule out acute myocardial infarction?? Absolutely Not!!!! Do what you can and get to the hospital.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.