California Medical Board probes octuplet birth

spenac

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090206/ap_on_re_us/octuplets

"Doctors say the norm is to implant two or three embryos, at most, in women Suleman's age.

"The revelation about one center treating her makes the treatment even harder to understand," said Arthur Caplan, bioethics chairman at the University of Pennsylvania. "They went ahead when she had six kids, knowing that she was a single mom ... and put embryos into her anyway.""

[web:030b99e79e]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090206/ap_on_re_us/octuplets[/web:030b99e79e]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from article:

"Suleman said she had never been on welfare and would find a way to get by with the help of family, friends and her church"

I wonder if she asked her family, friends, and her church if it was ok with them to financially and otherwise burden them with this additional responsibility...

She describes herself as half-Arabic and half-Lithuanian, was brought up protestant and continues to practice that religion.

Foreigners. :roll:

How can you be supportive of having embryo's implanted but not supportive of terminating when things get outta hand??

Where are the morals in that? Either you affect "God's will" or you don't!

That's one of the first things I thought of when I first heard that she already had six kids at home. Why in the world would anyone that has six kids want more? And, what kind of doctor/clinic would go along with the procedure? I know there are large families like the Duggars, but they didn't go through science to get that many kids. They had fun doing it.

Maybe she had the money up front to pay for it and the facility was greedy enough to agree to help her. It begs to ask who is going to help with all these kids? I know her mother is not happy at all. Will she be raising them or a group of nannies?

I know the laws have changed, but years ago the more kids you had the more money you would receive from the state. So people were purposely having more kids to receive more money. When they changed that and put a limit on how many kids could be claimed the applications for financial help with kids went down. Maybe she was thinking she would get all these donations from companies like Pampers, Evenflo, Little Tykes, etc. Or expecting to be able to have a book or movie deal.

But all in all, I think she's way over her head.