Sleep Number Bed

firedoc5

Our neighbors are elderly and I've known them since I was little. But he's not doing well. He had two straight years of chemo. and now having cardiac and renal trouble. He is at home now. They brought him a hospital bed that turns out to be a Sleep Number Bed. The medical company said how many are switching to it from the air beds that alternate pressure points to prevent bed sores.

I might be wrong, but to me a Sleep Number Bed just adjusts for firmness, not really relieving pressure. Jack does turn on his own somewhat and his is regularly pulled up in bed, so it's not a real big issue with him. But I'm still concerned when he sleeps 14+ hrs. a day. And I know Betty won't disturb him so he can move during that time.

My question is, should I be concerned and mention it to them or not?

Even if it is a concern, what are you willing to offer for alternative? anything that is used in hospitals (such as ICUs, CCUs) where patients have no other option but to be bed ridden to have specialty beds but those things are thousands of dollars. Not sure that there are to many other options if he isn't feeling well enough to get up around on his own.

When my father was terminal with cancer the hospice company brought what they termed a popcorn bed. it had a compressor that set over the top of the foot board and had hoses that ran into the mattress. It had different chambers in the mattress and as time went (over minutes) along it would move through the chambers so that there was never a constant pressure on anyone part of the body. I am not sure if this helps you but if you have any questions I can get in contact with the hospice provider here and see if they can tell me more about it and I will forward it to you ...just shoot me a PM

When my father was terminal with cancer the hospice company brought what they termed a popcorn bed. it had a compressor that set over the top of the foot board and had hoses that ran into the mattress. It had different chambers in the mattress and as time went (over minutes) along it would move through the chambers so that there was never a constant pressure on anyone part of the body. I am not sure if this helps you but if you have any questions I can get in contact with the hospice provider here and see if they can tell me more about it and I will forward it to you ...just shoot me a PM

My grandfather was bed ridden for 17 yrs at home and that's about the same thing he had. Between that and being turned every four hours around the clock, not once did he have a bed sore.

The cost of the Sleep Number Bed was about the same cost as the air mattress beds. As for being concerned, yes I'm very concerned about his overall health not just pressure shores. Between me and another neighbor who is an EMT we're helping with turning him and pulling him up in bed when needed. That's the least we can do for them.

Off topic, sorta, but speaking of beds.. I'd like to see a thicker, more comfortable bolster mattress for ambulance stretchers. No, it's not luxury, but laying on the stretcher shouldn't be torture.

Off topic, sorta, but speaking of beds.. I'd like to see a thicker, more comfortable bolster mattress for ambulance stretchers. No, it's not luxury, but laying on the stretcher shouldn't be torture.

what next, give pt massages? are the rides really long enough to warrant the cost of a more comfortable stretcher? Not that I am against pt comfort by any means, but I would vote for other things in the unit to be either safer for myself or more comfortable for me before choosing a more comfy stretcher.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.