Temper Tantrum Turns Into Hillside Rescue - Spank? or What?

spenac

How would you discipline?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Spank
    • Sit in corner
    • Say no no
    • allow to keep "expressing self"

Temper Tantrum Turns Into Hillside Rescue - Spank? or What? Something has to be done. No child should get away with such actions.

http://cbs2.com/local/Tantrum.Rescue.Glendale.2.916672.html

"GLENDALE, Calif. (CBS) ―

Click to enlarge

A boy throwing a temper tantrum threw his teddy bear over a cliff, which resulted in a hillside rescue of his parents.

CBS

1 of 1

Close

numSlides of totalImages A teddy bear thrown in a temper tantrum turned into a full-scale search-and-rescue operation after the parents tried to retrieve the stuffed animal, but slipped down a steep Glendale hillside and needed to be rescued.

A 10-year-old boy named Soski threw his stuffed animal over a guardrail and down a hillside in the midst of a tantrum around 9 p.m. on Nolan Avenue near McGinn Drive. "

[web:e3073a5b37]http://cbs2.com/local/Tantrum.Rescue.Glendale.2.916672.html[/web:e3073a5b37]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, a 10 year old is old enough to learn the lesson that if one chucks one's prized possessions over a cliff, one can expect to not get them back.

Secondly, this is an obvious parent-FAIL on many levels. Why are you outside at 9pm in the middle of winter arguing with your kid? Why hasn't your kid been locked in his room to vent his anger on his own and cool off a bit? WHAT were you THINKING when you decided to climb don a gorrram CLIFF to get a friggin TEDDY BEAR?!

I think the kid and parents should get a bill for the rescue and the kid should pay half of it out of his own allowance. I also think they should ALL go to counseling... the parents so they learn some coping skills and grow some balls, and the kid so he learns some appropriate anger management behavior....

Obviously, these parents using physical discipline on this kid is a joke... might be effective, but the physical force is only an extension of the emotional force used by the parents... obviously these folks have none.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

If that were MY kid, he just lost a teddy bear!

A prime example of kids not being taught that there are consequences for their actions. Dr. Spock strikes again! :x :x :x :x

If that were MY kid, he just lost a teddy bear!

A prime example of kids not being taught that there are consequences for their actions. Dr. Spock strikes again! :x :x :x :x

I am very much a time-out parent

My kid would have definatly lost thier teddy. One of my kids threw one of thier toys once, we quickly pickied it up and took it downtown to the "Donation bins". You see in true hands off parenting, the kids know bad choices = concequences.

It is alot more work..... but I just don't have the heart to strike my 6 year old.

the kid should pay half of it out of his own allowance

That part might make sense to me if it weren't his teddy bear. An essential component of property is the jus disponendi - the right to dispose of what's one's own as one wishes. I don't see how he's responsible for his parents' recklessness, and it seems unwise to train him into expecting them - or anyone - to jump when he says jump. He could, however, start earning the cost of a replacement. But since we haven't yet heard the bear's side of the story, all these judgments are premature.

I woulda just poured some gasoline down the cliff, dropped a match and said, "here Timmy Mr. Fire will bring your bear back to us, in really tiny delicate pieces and then you can glue him back together."

Of course then Id have to answer to the police why I started a fire burning half of California up over a teddy bear. But at least then the kid woulda learned a lesson :twisted:

And to think I deny my wife calling me vindictive

I am very much a time-out parent

Well then you better get started producing a second child real quick. Time out is a waste of time for an only child. Only children are experts at entertaining themselves, no matter what room you lock them in. They are used to being by themselves, so you are accomplishing nothing by giving them time out. So go ahead... produce a couple of siblings for him so you can raise them all to be spoiled and weak. See you at the bottom of the cliff.

I was thinking maybe to help the kid learn a lesson the parents should have tied a rope around the kid. Thrown .... I mean lower him down to the bear. When the kid gets back up with the bear take it away and give it to a homeless child. If he throws a fit then I say combine discipline techniques. He will not know what happened but will never want to go through it again. No more fit throwing.