Questions about Apgar Ambulance LLC

DwayneEMTP

Hey all,

I was asked if I knew anything about Apgar Ambulance LLC , which I don't. Does anyone here?

Curious if they make good ambulances, how it is to deal with them as a company, etc. Over all customer experience and product quality.

Any first hand knowledge will be appreciated.

Also, I've been looking at used ambulances and thinking about buying one to customize and turn into a camper. :wink: Lots of internal/external storage, heavy chasis, and much, much cheaper than a manufactered camper of like style.

What are the legalities involved? I'm guessing the lights have to be removed and all EMS decals and paint removed or painted over, but are there other legal concerns? Can anyone think of a reason that this would be a bad idea?

Thanks in advance on both counts...

Dwayne

Never heard of Apgar.

Most state laws require the removal of red forward warning lights and this can be accomplished by changing out the lenses to amber.

I know of many folks who use older ambulances for campers ,trades vans and service trucks.

When looking for used, look for older small volume volunteer service owned trucks.

I know of one that will be coming up for sale in the spring thats a 1995 with only 45,000 original miles,always been ford dealer maintained and kept in a nice warm fire station all it's life. It has always been maintained and will be a dependable truck for someone, it's just getting too old for use in 911 service.

I think the legal issues will vary state by state, but yes at a minimum you will need to remove the lights and siren. I would search autotrader and craigslist for a nice southern ambulance, that might have been used by a volunteer service (low mileage, no rust). I think AEV builds one of the toughest/strongest boxes (their ads routinely show an ambulance on top of their ambulance, to show how strong the box is. Wheeled Coach used to have the superior electrical system, but not sure if that is still true ? If you can find a superduty, you will have more towing power.

All good and well, except *at least one of the units in their slide show weren't made by them. I know that for a fact, because one in particular, we have specs for b/c we liked it's design and unusual color.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.