Safer - More Functional Ambulance Design

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to the locking system they were using. All the one's I've seen are an "antler" type system, which doesn't allow the forward motion of the cot when it's locked in. From what I've seen, this system is weakest in lateral impacts, but still I've never seen one screw up like that. In fact, Rural/Metro fleet (in the old fleet station) had the floor with stretcher still on it hanging on a wall. It was from a crash involving one of their ambos vs. a full gravel truck. Needless to say, the gravel truck won. Thankfully, they were responding to a call, rather than transporting. Both providers ended up in the hospital, but all recovered fully. The cot never left the locking mechanism...in fact, it was the ONLY thing in the box portion that was STILL INTACT!

This is one of the other videos I was thinking of. As far as I know all the crashes used the typical antler type set-up. After watching the videos again it looks like a lot of the problems where actually cot failures.

Let's start with a more secure system for mounting cots. I'm sure most of us have seen the videos where the cot launches right into the 911 seat.

Ferno CEN 6 series cots and 'lock and load' mounts solve many of the manual handling issues in one was well with decents cots a ramp / lift as wellas a 10 g crash stable locking system

http://www.ferno.co.uk/products/ambulance/Trolleys

http://www.ferno.co.uk/viewproducts/ambula...ing-Systems/25/

If you have never seen an ambulance that has been through a frontal substantial collision, let me paint you a picture:

1. The cot goes through the Captain's chair. It can be rated for all the "Gs" you want, but if it is bolted through 3/4 inch plywood (as most are), it doesnt stay locked to the floor.

2. All the plexiglass and supplies comes out.

3. The monitor and O2 tank come flying to the front to hit the medic that was killed by the stretcher.

4. The box will often collapse the cab of the truck (in the typical pick-up truck chassis).

5. If you roll over, the box will fall apart as if it were made of paper.

6. If you are on the squad bench, you can expect the safety net to slow your body down just enough to say one last oh-sh*t before you crash into the ALS compartment and die.

If you have never seen an ambulance that has been through a frontal substantial collision, let me paint you a picture:

1. The cot goes through the Captain's chair. It can be rated for all the "Gs" you want, but if it is bolted through 3/4 inch plywood (as most are), it doesnt stay locked to the floor.

2. All the plexiglass and supplies comes out.

3. The monitor and O2 tank come flying to the front to hit the medic that was killed by the stretcher.

4. The box will often collapse the cab of the truck (in the typical pick-up truck chassis).

5. If you roll over, the box will fall apart as if it were made of paper.

6. If you are on the squad bench, you can expect the safety net to slow your body down just enough to say one last oh-sh*t before you crash into the ALS compartment and die.

whivch is why in the civilised world EN1789 requires proper construction standards for ambulance vehicles including all strucural elements of the body and that all locker facings and closures and equipment mounts must withstand 10 g impacts

Ferno CEN 6 series cots and 'lock and load' mounts solve many of the manual handling issues in one was well with decents cots a ramp / lift as wellas a 10 g crash stable locking system

http://www.ferno.co.uk/products/ambulance/Trolleys

http://www.ferno.co.uk/viewproducts/ambula...ing-Systems/25/

This looks to be a much more stable, secure system. Unfortunately I don't think it's available in North America. We seem to be behind in most other ways so why not this one too :roll: .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.