US Airways Plane crashes in the Hudson River

akflightmedic

Excellent landing skills, good job. Glad to hear no fatalities.

Click link for entire story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_in_river

NEW YORK – A cool-headed pilot maneuvered his crippled jetliner over New York City and ditched it in the frigid Hudson River on Thursday, and all 155 on board were pulled to safety as the plane slowly sank. It was, the governor said, "a miracle on the Hudson." One victim suffered two broken legs, a paramedic said, but there were no other reports of serious injuries.

The US Airways Airbus A320 bound for Charlotte, N.C., struck a flock of birds just after takeoff minutes earlier at LaGuardia Airport, apparently disabling the engines.

Fear of terrorism isnt going to be a single 'generational problem', but one that is going to be faced by anyone that was alive and old enough to realize what happened, and the motivation behind it.

I have to admit that when I first heard the news about the plane going down only moments after takeoff, I immediately thought it might have been an act of terrorism...whether international or domesstic. I breathed a big sigh of relief to find out that it was because of a bird strike, (multiple?).

After seeing what the cockpit crew and the flight crew accomplished, one must really appreciate that there are protocols and rules in situations like this.

When I found out that there were no fatalities on the plane, I was absolutely 'gape jawed'!

Kudos to the entire cockpit/flight crew! The passengers must also be commended for not breaking down into utter chaos as well!

As far as the cockpit/flight crew, I hope that because of their level headed responses, and their ability to work together to avert tragedy, that there is some sort of public show of appreciation for the great job they did!

Thank goodness everyone is alright! My first reaction was terrorism before I heard the part about birds.... guess that's just always going to happen with my generation.
Argh, please don't fall into that. We're the same generation. When was the last major attack on US soil? and before that? and before that? until the pattern significantly changes, don't start freaking out.

Everytime there's a plane related emergency, everyone wants to know if it's foreign terrorism. Why would that statistically be your guess or worry?

(not picking on you, btw scuba, just saying in general why conciously add to your worry)

Canadian Terrorist Geese! :lol:

Don't take them so lightly. I think what we have here is a new form of bioterrorism. Those darn Canadians are beginning their invasion.

The pilot has become a small time celebrity. Someone even started a facebook page call friends of Sully. Props to everyone involved, cockpit crew, cabin crew, passengers, ferryboats, FDNY, NYPD and all others involved.

Outstanding performance by the pilot and crew. I came across the news break when channel surfing. For the first minute when they said a plane went down in the river the first thing that went through my mind was how the FAA had just stated that in the last two years there were no deaths in commercial flights, and that now their streak had been broken. But when they first said all were well I breathed a sigh of relief.

The actions taken by all were done as they were suppose to in that kind of situation. The pilot, crew, rescuers, were done better than the text book. And it was great how the civilian ferries responded too.

everybody is stroking the pilot in command but i gaurantee you that second officer wasnt playing HALO on his PSP. great teamwork. these guys were in the air for 3 minutes from the time they rotated until they were in the drink. in that time they got the gear up, made a power out left turn at minimum altitude, probally tried a restart, got it flattened back out, warned the passengers with a simple "Brace for impact", and set a 123 foot, 77 ton aircraft down in the water without scratching the paint.

One of the passengers they interviewed was asked if they were scared to fly again. the passenger said, "Not if Im flying USAir"

Another A320 not so lucky:

Just another excuse I can use to avoid flying. Seriously though, if I HAD to get on a plane, I'd need to be sedated the whole flight. I absolutely hate airplanes.