Would you trust a babysitter you met this way?

Lone Star

I would NOT hire a babysitter this way, but I wouldnt totally discount the method. You can learn alot from just one question, if it is the right question. For instance, how do the answers to these questions help you judge EMS personnel:

1. What certifications do you have above CPR and ACLS ?

2. How often were you tardy for work or absent from work in 2008 ?

3. If I looked in your ambulance right now, would I find a pillow and a blanket ?

4. If we inventory your ambulance right now, what object is closest to it's expiration date ?

Less than 3 minutes, and I would know alot about how that medic performs.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know. Im torn on this. Babbysitting for my family has been mostly done by family or VERY close long time family freinds and most all of us (not to toot any horns) have a reputable fire/ems/public safety work backround. In the state of Connecticut, not sure about anywhere else, regardless of age in order to babysitt someone elses (non-family) kids your required to take classes including family first aid and CPR. So for thoes who play by the book a Connecticut babysitter should be certified in a litteral sense.

You can learn alot about a person in just a few minutes, but in my experiences first impressions arnt always right. My wife and I were watching this video vigilante caught on tape stuff a couple weeks back, and this one woman was talking about a vsiting nurse / CNA she hired to take care of her father. He had suffered from one or two CVAs a couple years prior and was completley bed bound. She found the woman taking care of her father to be very sweet and plesant and she took great care of him. Eventually she started finding bruises on him and rather than confront the nurse without evidence she installed a camera in his room. Well, it turns out this sweet lady was pounding the hell out of him regularly. And not that it makes it right by any means but he didnt even do anything provokable. This man couldnt even defend himself.

Personally, I would never use a service like that. But regardless of how you find your sitter or caregiver... there could still be some bad apples.

3. If I looked in your ambulance right now, would I find a pillow and a blanket ?

Yes... if there is no patient on board we are required to keep them in the cab where they can be properly supervised. If left in the back while not transporting they must be secured to the bench seat by a warm body :twisted:

Most mental, sexual and physical abuses are by immediate family, "close family" and long trusted friends of the family.

They already know the victim, have their trust and are able to be around often enough to continue the abuse and intimidation into silence.

Well I have always been lucky on the babysitting thing when my boys were younger I have my mother and sister. But honestly I don't think that I would find a babysitter this way. I am the over bearing want to know it all type person when it comes to my boys. And I honestly do not feel that you could get a good feel on people in a "3 min" interview. But then again I am really a strong arm when it comes to my boys and their safety and potential safety.

Personally, I would never use a service like this. The only sitters I have used are children of good friends I trust completely, and those I have met through friends that know them well. The fact nothing shows on a background check could simply mean they have never been caught doing anything wrong. We all think we are good judges of character, but people can be very deceiving. As an employer you can always fire people, but I would not want to risk something happening to my child first before I fire them. If it sounds paranoid, or that I am afraid of the boogyman, so be it. But nothing is worth risking the safety of my child.

As I said before, statistically speaking ( and I am trying to find the studies), most abuse cases (mental, sexual, physical) occur from family members or friends of the family.

Want to talk about hiding it well, imagine the shock on all these people's faces over the years when they discover what their family member has been up to and they never had a clue.

A criminal element would most likely avoid a service that does background checks. They would go for the ones that don't. Also, doing credit checks are not out of line either...you can learn a lot about aperson by running their credit.

As others and I have said, it is an interview process. By no means would I let the 3 minutes be the only meeting before entrusting my children to them. Think of all the other important decisions you have made in your life in under 3 minutes...or impressions rather.

As I said before, statistically speaking ( and I am trying to find the studies), most abuse cases (mental, sexual, physical) occur from family members or friends...

Yes AK, I agree with this. As this is the best opportunity and exposure to the victims that abusers get, so yes those statistics are high.

And for those in a new city or who know nobody, there is little choice to find sitters, and this is better than flagging people down in the street. It just never would be a choice for me.