Would you trust a babysitter you met this way?

Lone Star

True, you do have the right and ability to go elsewhere if you don't like the paperwork requirements of an employer.

And absolutely there could be the unscrupulous worker who could do the same things that I referred to as a new employee.

Everyone of us in this group sans a few are weeks away from financial ruin. You get injured and not able to work at all then where's the money gonna come from. If you have the financial backing that some of us have, not me though, you might be able to survive several weeks or a month or more but remember the bills do not stop even though you have stopped working.

This is why programs such as Dave Ramsey's the total money make over are so important now a days.

They consist of baby steps in getting your financial affairs in order

Step 1 - fund an emergency fund of 1000.00 that you can easily get to but is to be used for emergencies. True emergencies such as car repairs that would keep you from getting to work or furnace repairs and similar.

Step 2 - debt snowball - pay off your debt which usually takes about 18-26 months

Step 3 - begin to develop a 2nd emergency fund which is equal to 6 months of your current salary. This takes a while

Once you get these 3 steps done then financially you are pretty well off.

One other thing, you have to get rid of the credit cards. I know that's hard but I'll bet that most of everyone's debt is credit card based. I know mine is.

If anyone wants any more info on the Dave Ramsey plan go to www.daveramsey.com or contact me.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to be able to see an employer's credit report, especially in these times. Just because you have a buddy there that hasnt been stiffed yet, doesnt mean they are not in severe trouble. You can kind of get that if you work for government by looking at their budget that they must publish. But when you work for a private, you have no idea how much cash is in reserves, how much debt they are in, or if there is any IRS monkey business going on -- Leasing the same employees between two different corporations ?

i was talkin to an ex coworker last week. They took yet another paycut, the second in the last year. one of the shift differentials was cut because 'they arent as busy as they used to be'. so i guess when spring/summer rolls around theyll get it back? I heard their last employee meeting was one to rival a UFC match.