Another shining example of being too soft on today's kids!

Lone Star

I came across this article on MSN's homepage....

Not only are the parents not stressing the difference between 'reality' and 'fantasy', but now the 'system' is making excuses for this kid!

Face it, the kid's lawyer isn't contesting that the kid shot his parents in cold blood, which led directly to his mother's death.....but now they're blaming the VIDEO GAME for causing it!

Let's be honest here, it's nothing more than a spoiled brat who didn't get his way, picked up a gun and shot his parents; because they DARED to restrict him from playing video games 18 hours a day!

[align=center:d789e60fe4]Teen convicted of killing mom over video game[/align:d789e60fe4]

[align=center:d789e60fe4]Dad says his son told them to close their eyes for a surprise before shooting [/align:d789e60fe4]

ELYRIA, Ohio - A judge Monday rejected the defense that a teenage boy opened fire on his family because he was addicted to video games, convicting him of wounding his clergyman father and killing his mother after they fought over a game.

Lawyers for Daniel Petric, 17, didn't contest that the boy shot his parents in October 2007, but insisted his youth and video game addiction made him less responsible.

Common Pleas Judge James Burge disagreed and pointed to evidence the boy plotted the crime for weeks.

Petric was convicted of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges. He faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole. The judge didn't set a sentencing date.

Angry about video game

Prosecutors said Petric planned to kill his parents because he was angry that his father would not allow him to play the video game "Halo 3," in which players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.

During the trial, deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo described Petric as a cold, calculating killer who plotted to murder his parents, Mark and Susan Petric, and make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.

Defense Attorney James Kersey has said that Petric was obsessed with the "Halo" series of video games, which he played 18 hours a day when he had the chance. Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.

Mark Petric, who is a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

Gawd made him do it. Should give him the death penalty. Save the tax payers a heap of monkey, take him out back and bash him in the head with a shovel. Donate his body to science. Cheap and easy.

Now wait a darn second here, I have the inside scoop on why he did this.

In the game, if you revert back to a previous saved game all the monsters you did kill come back allive at that point. So he had the video game controller in one hand and the rifle in the other. He told his mom and dad to close their eyes. They did, he saved the game, then he shot them and try as he might, he couldn't get the saved game to come up. So in the end, his mom stayed dead and dad stayed shot.

They need to use the saved game excuse for a defense, it holds just as much fricking weight as the video game defense itself.

I think they need to put him in a cell, have the walls of his cell actually be video screens and let him see hs mother's picture and fathers pictures every single day of his incarcerated life. oh, wait that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Sad part is he will probably have a game system in his cell!

I know a guy who beat up some random dude and left him on the train tracks where he was run over by a train, he had a Nintendo 64 and cable TV in his cell....... :roll:

to not coddle these criminals and not give them everything in prison that they were used to on the outside is tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment.

There was a inmate who sued the state because he only got one slice of cheese on his sandwich instead of two. He claimed they were trying to starve him. It made it to court, cost the taxpayers 50K or so and in the end he was given a 2nd slice of cheese.

Does anyone realize that most prison libraries have more resources than many law libraries?

Sad part is he will probably have a game system in his cell!

I know a guy who beat up some random dude and left him on the train tracks where he was run over by a train, he had a Nintendo 64 and cable TV in his cell....... :roll:

He should come to Maricopa County...I know a Sheriff he'd love to meet! Gotta love Joe Arpio!

Now I mean this entirley out of (poor tastless) humor and do not intend to offend anyone here who is of religious faith but...

If they really want to start bringing the video game into it, just start saying the parents thought it was blasfamous and a slight against God. The kid could use that as a defense saying he was going insane that he wasnt allowed to be who he wanted... afterall in Halo the heierarchy of the Covenant (aliens) have kind of a we're Gods atitude.

I just got done playing Unreal Tournament, and the 'announcer' just said I was GOD LIKE! I guess that means I can go around and start blowing everyone I consider to be an 'enemy bot' away! After all, Unreal Tournament is real isn't it?

I can also set the game to adjust to player (My) skill level in the game, and every time I do that, the game automatically sets the skill level to 'Godlike'...maybe I AM a god!

For those that don't know, Unreal Tournament (UT 99) was the original that the Halo games were patterned after, and I believe they use the Unreal Tournament game engine.