The Obama's Dog

Richard B the EMT

File this under "You cannot make this stuff up!"

Most know, in these remaining days before Barack Obama is sworn in, that he promised his girls a dog, referred by the Press corps, as the "First Dog."

Now, I have heard everything: As reported on the national news broadcast of the American Broadcasting Company (ABC), Senator Ted Kennedy has gone public in support of the Portuguese Water Dog, but is in public argument with the actor/director Henry Winkler, who supports the "Labradoodle".

From the ABC News "World News Tonight" site

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/20...kennedy-vs.html

Ted Kennedy vs. Henry Winkler: Dog Lovers Face Off on Best Breed for Obamas

January 12, 2009 5:33 PM

ABC News' John Berman reports:

What better way to spend a Monday than in the middle of a fight between Ted Kennedy and Henry Winkler. Kennedy, of course, is the senior Senator from Massachusetts. And Winkler is the Fonz, or at least was on Happy Days when it was on TV. What were they fighting about and why was I in the middle? Well the answer to the first question is "dogs," and the second, "because it's Monday I guess."

Really, the story is all about the hunt for the "First Dog." What dog will the Obama family choose to join them in the White House? It all heated up after this exchange in the new interview between Obama and ABC's George Stephanopoulos:

STEPHANOPOULOS: What kind of a dog are we getting and when are we getting it?

OBAMA: The -- they seem to have narrowed it down to a labradoodle or a Portuguese water hound.

STEPHANOPOULOS: A medium sized.

OBAMA: Medium sized dog, and so, we're now going to start looking at shelters to see when one of those dogs might come up.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So, you're closing in on it?

OBAMA: We're closing in on it. This has been tougher than finding a commerce secretary.

So we wanted to talk to owners of both candidates, the Labradoodle and Portugese Water Dog to find out which dog might be better suited for the task. After deploying the vast resources of ABC News, we learned that Henry Winkler, AKA "The Fonz" was the proud owner of a Labradoodle. I caught up with him by phone minutes before he was set to go on stage in London as Captain Hook in Peter Pan.

Tell us whether you think the labradoodle or the portuguese water hound should go to the White House? VOTE NOW

He told me: "The labaradoodle is smart, the labradoodle is sweet, the labradoodle if filled with the spirit of life. The labradoodle hops everywhere, he doesn't just walk, our labradoodle is a girl, her name is, Charlette. And I promise you if the president has a labradoodle in the white house, he can have that dog on the economic team."

He also issued a broadside at the owners of Portugese Water Dogs, "porties" as they are called.

"I understand that it must be terrible to feel so wrong, but the thing is that you are lovely people, enjoy your pets, the labradoodle rules!"

Enter Ted Kennedy. He loves his 3 Porties (more on that number in a bit.) And he gave us this amazing, fulsome statement by e-mail:

From Senator Edward M. Kennedy:

"A portuguese water dog is the perfect choice for first dog. The Obama girls -- and their parents -- will love a portuguese water dog. They're loyal, smart, loving and they became a real part of the family. And they definitely do not shed. And if they're lucky, they'll find a really smart dog like mine who can even write a book. My dog Splash wrote 'My Senator and Me: A Dog's Eye View of Washington, DC.'

"I take Sunny and Splash to the Senate with me, and they love being around people and being part of the action. In fact, they're so much fun that we've just added a new portuguese water dog puppy to our family -- Captains Courageous is his name. We call him Cappy for short. And he's another winner.

"I think the Obama's should double their fun and get two portuguese water dogs. They love to be active, and they can help entertain each other.

"I understand that a labradoodle -- also known as a portuguese water dog wannabe -- is also being considered. Hmmmm. I hope someone checks into the shedding situation. I know lots of people who have labradoodles that are more lab than poodle -- and they definitely shed. Sorry, Mr. Winkler, but that's a fact.

"I am proud to endorse the Portuguese Water dog as the next First Dog (or Dogs) of the United States. They have a can do and hopeful spirit, they are smart, they are resilient, they are determined, they are optimistic, and they are tireless. Sounds like a perfect fit for the Obama Family and the Obama Administration."

Please notice the outstanding attack on Henry Winkler. It is a real political brawl. One that will only be solved by some biscuits or petting.

And in the process, ABC News is able to break some news. Until this moment, we knew Ted Kennedy has 2 porties. But now, sources familiar with Kennedy's pets say he now has a third. "Captains Courageous," they call him "Cappy" for short.

How about going to a fu*king pound, prefferably a kill shelter style and getting one thats on death row just because no one wants it. Damn I dont even like dogs but Id rather see one thats about to die get a home than die just because it cant... but itll be a cold day in hell before some idiot with money and fame will do that. Itll be 20 below in hell when that same idiot does the afore mentioned against the wishes against what two other idiots thinks he should get his daughter just cuz hes more famous than before.

I have seen this stuff on numerous news reports, on TV, on the internet, and in newspapers....

What I don't get is, why do we care so much? I agree it would be nice to see Obama get a dog from a pound or shelter... but if he doesn't, do we have the right to be mad at him? As long as he isn't mistreating or abusing the animal, as long as he isn't involved with Michael Vick in his adventures, why is it a big deal? Aren't there far more important decisions to be made, both by the citizens of the US and around the world, and President-Elect Obama, than the choice of his dog? Like... oh, I dunno.... the economy both nationally and internationally? the jobless rate? problems with the quality of education? the lack of health care? issues in Iraq and Afghanistan? the conflict in Gaza?

Obama's dog rates pretty low on my list of things to worry about.... probably about 2 above being abducted by aliens.

Im not saying I would be mad at him and hold a gruge if he didnt go to a shelter... but damn, already proving that hes ganna spend money. I dated a breeder/groomer for a short short time, dogs arnt freaking cheap. And thoes dogs arnt ganna be executed if someone dosnt take them home. Its not so much that I care about this situation, its just showing a little character about him. Hes supposed to be about change and making things better for us, and yet rather than adopting a pet hes ganna go out and spend money on a DOG.

edit: I mean the pet is supposed to be for his daughter... I dont think shes ganna care if its some pure bred or a mut. So if hes gatta get some pure bred according to a couple of celebrities arguing over it... whats he really going for? Appearance? Nah!!

• 2 months later...

Wonder how many years will be required of the Secret Service Agent to walk the First Pooch. B)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.