Are T-shirts a Professional Uniform

Is a t-shirt a professional EMS uniform ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only during sleep hours

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the heck does this nonsense about Polo shirts being cooler than other uniform shirts come from? A short sleeve, poly/cotton shirt is a short sleeve, poly/cotton shirt. Period. Cutting the number of buttons down to three does nothing to make the shirt cooler to wear. Do you guys just pull this stuff out of your arses, or what?

I agree with Crotch. A lot of people attempt to utilise hot weather as an excuse to be a slob.

And anyone who thinks scrubs won't "hold up in the field" has never worn them in the field. I have, and had no problems with them.

FDNY EMS uses "Military Style" long sleeve and "Polo Style" short sleeve shirts. Those of us that still have them are allowed to use the short sleeve "Military Style" shirts.

My only problem with either of the short sleeve shirts is the color-Navy Blue. In the summer heat, that is the only problem I have found, from personal experience, as they seem to hold in heat, unlike the pre-FDNY merger short sleeve "Military Style" shirts then worn, which were white. The fit of these shirts is the same, so that is why I say the FDNY blue ones retain heat.

Actually in hot weather long sleeves and pants are better, but they should be light colored not this dark crap EMS seems to always choose. A study don't have it right now said it helped you cool more by slow evaporation rather than quickly losing all moisture if exposed.

Heres more info, but not the study:

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/jungle-...l.htm/printable

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/survive_the_sun.htm

http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandle...r-heat0704.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/ba...thread_id=15626

Good information. It has long been scientifically substantiated. That's why uniform sleeves cannot be rolled up in Iraq. I'll never forget the first time I went to Nellis Air Force Base in the Nevada desert back in the 1970s. All these guys are walking around the flight line wearing long sleeve fatigues in 115 degree heat! I thought they were insane! But that is about the time that the military began adopting that policy, to help prevent heat stroke.

Good information. It has long been scientifically substantiated. That's why uniform sleeves cannot be rolled up in Iraq. I'll never forget the first time I went to Nellis Air Force Base in the Nevada desert back in the 1970s. All these guys are walking around the flight line wearing long sleeve fatigues in 115 degree heat! I thought they were insane! But that is about the time that the military began adopting that policy, to help prevent heat stroke.

It did surprise me a little that even in high humidity long sleeves were recommended.

Actually in hot weather long sleeves and pants are better, but they should be light colored not this dark crap EMS seems to always choose. A study don't have it right now said it helped you cool more by slow evaporation rather than quickly losing all moisture if exposed.
Better for what? And is this in all conditions?

I'm used to hot weather with very cooling winds. You can FEEL heat circulating out from your sleeves when the wind hits you. I guess if it's so hot that the wind is hot too, that's a problem, but we're usually not in the sun for long periods of times. I mainly care about thinner material, though. I'll wear the polo. Just feels nice to be able to feel the AC when we jump back in the rig (yes, consideration of patient is made, but on hot days, they often appreciate it too)

I don't think that t-shirts have a very professional image. However, realizing that management often looks at cost, they are a lot cheaper that polo's or button ups. I have the option to wear anything from a t-shirt to a class B while on duty. I prefer to wear the polo, even at night. At night it goes on just as fast as a t-shirt and looks better if you forget to tuck it in. I think polo's show a professional image yet are still relaxed and comfortable to work in. Most polo's don't cost more than t-shirts do anyways. But, I must be a sucker because I really like the 5.11 polo's despite the heavy price. As far as shorts go, as long as they are uniform I don't care. I like to wear them in the summertime, we just have to wear our turnout pants over them on calls. I don't get the whole BBP thing with shorts. If you spill blood on your pants or have to work a trauma, chances are it will soak through to your skin and you will still have contact with the blood. Besides, if you are making that big of a mess when involved with patient care you have some real issues. Turnout pants, EMS or Fire, are probably the only pants that provide true BBP protection. But hey, like they say at work, I'm just that crazy guy from Chicago.

I am not going to argue the point with you guys, just looking for your opinion. In my opinion a t-shirt is not a professional substitute for a uniform shirt. I know many will disagree, but I cant imagine my neurosurgeon examining me in his office while wearing a t-shirt that has "Surgeon" printed on the back in 6inch letters.

What are your thoughts ?

You have failed your original post by arguing "the point" on pages three and four of the thread. Can I trust anything you say? :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.