Are T-shirts a Professional Uniform

Is a t-shirt a professional EMS uniform ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only during sleep hours

I am not going to argue the point with you guys, just looking for your opinion. In my opinion a t-shirt is not a professional substitute for a uniform shirt. I know many will disagree, but I cant imagine my neurosurgeon examining me in his office while wearing a t-shirt that has "Surgeon" printed on the back in 6inch letters.

What are your thoughts ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly we don't get a say. The service says t's t's it is. I made a discussion along the lines of design a distinct professional uniform for EMS and like everything EMS there was no agreement on anything.

I believe Polo style shirts with service title/emblem/name accompanied with provider cert. level is what is appropriate. It fits the needs of both provider and employer, ie. professional, clean, and most importantly COMFORTABLE, so I can do my job in the best conditions possible. Also, I see no problem with wearing company t-shirts between the hours of 10pm and 7am. Who cares honestly, as mentioned above, scrubs are not professional but they cater to the job and employee...go figure. This job is like few others, when we are awoken in the middle of the night for an emergency, let us do our job in the most comfort as feasibly possible.

Perhaps the reason I feel a lot more "professional" in my nursing scrubs, than I do in my paramedic BDUs (and nice white shirt with the patches to match) is more to do with licensing and remuneration, than how good I am with an iron.

EMS has more things to worry about if it wants the professional recognition it deserves. I have seen many a 350lb provider make the smartest of uniform look like dross, and boy can they make those nylon shirts reek!

Hell, in Arizona (Central and Southern) there are departments that wear shorts during the summer months (must be certain type, look, etc., as controled by uniform policy). There are very specific reasons why they do this (you know...like 120 degrees?). This is to prevent over heating of the staff. Now...clearly there are safety issues with shorts on calls, and there are policies in place for what to do if you are wearing shorts and you catch a call, but too lengthy to list here. In some places, it just isn't as feasable as others.

I agree we have many more "serious issues" in EMS, but first impressions are important, and in the middle of the night, I wouldnt know if the t-shirt adorned EMS Professional was there to wash my car, cut my yard, or save my life ? Have you noticed most mechanics wear a uniform shirt ? I imagine their job is much more laborous than ours is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.