Problem with Smells. ( Odors)

Richrep

I recently joined my local First Aid Squad in Town. Been riding as a First Responder and Driver since Mid Sept. I start EMT Course this Monday. I am 50 year Old Male and not doing this as a Profession. I am enjoying this however have a problem with smells ( Odors) always have. Vomit. Fecal, GI Bleeding. I gag and cannot stop. Once the Gag Reflex kicks in, I have a hard time controlling it. I know it is in my head, however is there a way to control it? Been giving advice from Squad Members, we carry Vicks on Board each Rig. I also carry a Chap Stick Hollowed Out and packed with Vicks. Is this the best soluction? any others? I would hate to be the Active EMT on a call and not be able to carry out my Duties.

Thanks

Rich

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I would hate to be the Active EMT on a call and not be able to carry out my Duties.

Rich, thats a valid concern but not one to be ashamed of or worry over. Its already been suggested and you yourself nailed it too... VICKS! It can be a savior. Anyways its not uncommon for even some of us seasoned EMS'ers to get sick off of smells. 5 years in and I still cant smell vomit without wanting to vomit as well.

But man wait till you get a GI Bleed.

Best of luck to you in your new proffesion/hobby and best of luck in EMT class as well. Welcome to the city and feel free to ask us anything!

Mints or a strong flavored gum can help too, if you're comfortable with that. I, personally, don't like to use these because I don't like to try to talk around things in my mouth with a pt.

I still think a vapor rub is one of the best solutions.

And don't stress it too much. My boss has been and EMT for 20 years and still has that problem. We raz him about it every chance we get. :D

Suck on an extremely hot jaw breaker. Deadens taste and smell.

I haven't tried this one, but I plan on it!

Rich, as Rat said, don't feel too bad about this - you will figure out something that works for you.

I used to be a "sympathy gagger"... whenever one of my patients started gagging or puking, it was all I could do not to join them. I found that the Vicks worked great, as well as incredible focus ("I am here to do my job.. remember A, B, C,..." anything to keep my mind busy so I wasn't focussing on puking).

I have been doing this for 12 years, and I am much better than I used to be... you will be too! I still get teased by my crew sometimes when I get a puking patient "Hey, I watched, and you only gagged twice!" but it is all in good fun. And I still keep a tiny tube of Vicks in my pocket.... just in case...

Peppermint oil works really well for me. Vicks Vapor rub works okay for preventing the gag, but for me it doesn't work if I have already started gagging. For some reason the smell and taste of it kills my gag reflex. You can carry as small bottle in your pocket. Just make sure you don't use undiluted peppermint oil on your skin, because it really burns. You can get a tin of lip balm (Carmex, etc) and mix in the peppermint oil. Then just rub it on your lips and under your nose. You will have to experiment with the strength (more or less oil mixed in) that works for you.

That is a legit problem that many in EMS has. I would say that over time you get use to it. But that's not always the case. My weakness is spit for somereason. I can usually handle the puke and poop and all those smells, but for some reason there is sputum involved I'm gagging and wrenching.

Even as a kid, smells didn't bother me all the much. But I've always said that "I don't smell too good." :lol:

Don't let it discourage ya. You'll do fine.

Vomit's my weak point... here's the thing. As long as I look away and clench my jaw a bit, I can help someone throw up into a basin. I still want to gag, but my focus is changed. It's cleaning warm puke off the floor that gets me... *URP!* That warm feeling through your gloves... eeew...

Vick's vapo-rub is good, also, breathing through your mouth helps.

Wendy

CO EMT-B