frequent flyers and public relations

Ok, we have a new set of guidelines starting in about 2 weeks. If we are the primary crew on duty and we are not on a call we are being asked to go to some of our frequent flyers to check up on them.

Does anyone out there do that and if you do, what has your experience been with this?

Many of us here think that this will bring an influx of EMS calls because oh what the hell "You guys are already here, so I think I'll go ahead and have you run me to the ER for a quick checkup"

Anyone have any experiences in this area???

thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Social Services.

Develop an official professional relationship with the Social Services ofc of your hospital or community. They can assist with home followups, VNA, psych evaluations and placement if needed.

Lee County EMS (Florida) has had some good success with their program.

Other "out reach" programs have not been as successful nor has the public health models that have been attempted in some EMS agencies. Part of their failure has been due to poor medical oversight, bad management and lack of interest on the Paramedics part.

well it's not in effect here yet but it's not really follow up visits, but more like "Are you doin ok" in an attempt to decrease the number of calls from these patients.

That is the purpose of Social Services.

They get a government agency through the VA, Medicare, Medicaid, Medi-cal or whatever to provide scheduled services with the appropriate level of care. Some may only require a PCA or CNA. Other may need an LVN or RN. The visits may be once a day or once a week.

EMS should not be responsible for the person's body hygiene care, perscriptions, home equipment, shopping, meals, nutritional status or appointments which is what most of these patient need. Most EMS workers are also not trained to recognize all the signs of abuse or neglect that is also a responsibility for those making visits. If you visit and leave the patient without food, medication or in a dangerous environment that you may not have been trained to recognize or had the time to recognize, you open yourself for liability.

Social Workers usually have a Masters degree specializing in seeing the correct services are provided. That is why their involvement is of importance. Case Managers may be RNs with graduate work in Social Services or some extensive specialization. Tough jobs with mega responsibility.

Welfare checks on people are a great community service. But, get a detailed list of what is expected and only expected of you. Vague and general are too broad.

I don't like the sound of this.

Ok, we have a new set of guidelines starting in about 2 weeks. If we are the primary crew on duty and we are not on a call we are being asked to go to some of our frequent flyers to check up on them.

Does anyone out there do that and if you do, what has your experience been with this?

Many of us here think that this will bring an influx of EMS calls because oh what the hell "You guys are already here, so I think I'll go ahead and have you run me to the ER for a quick checkup"

Anyone have any experiences in this area???

thanks

I have never heard of this, we don't have to check up on them, they call us at least once every two weeks.

The old couple is the best, cause they alternate every week, one week its her the other its him, Iamb waiting for the day its both of them at same time.

Seems like something like this was posted a few months back. And the news articles that were quoted if I recall correctly mentioned how it actually did cut back on the 911 calls. But I do not recall all the details. If I run across it I will post the link.

As to causing people to call more often I think it could actually maybe give them the attention when it is more convenient and stop the calls. A medic I work with said where he used to work they would do little things for the frequent fliers that would help the patient but also make their job easier if they still got called. He mentioned one example where the patient was a frequent faller and the house had steep steps so the service built a nice big porch with a gentle slope ramp. It served the purpose of helping eliminate many falls for the patient and made their job easier when they did have to go pick up the patient. The money saved by eliminating one call to that house probably covered the cost of the materials they used to build it, plus it eliminated an obstacle that could have led to injury of a medic.

So I guess it might not be a bad idea to consider.

We did that years ago. But it was just for our regular, legitimate pts. We only used the term "Frequent Flyers" for non-legit callers. Those we didn't check on.

I'm just going to be blunt here: What a stupid idea!!! EMS is for emergency services (regardless rather we think they are truly having an emergency) It is not our job to go check up on patients. That's for home health care or social services. What is going to happen when you are at a frequent flyer's house doing your check up and emergency traffic comes out? Do you just say, " Well we have to go now because someone else is in need of our services?" I'm serious, what would you do? I say don't go to someone's house unless they have activated the 911 system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.