Why Are You Guys So Scared ????????????

crotchitymedic1986

Why do I not post? Let me count the reasons:

Yeah, you get the idea...

I only post to a thread if I feel that what I have to offer is going to be a contribution, not a 'distraction' to that thread.

Of course, I try to stay out of the bashing threads, (Fire Vs EMS, Medic Vs Basic, etc). I'm an EMT-Basic, so obviously, I can't respond to the ALS threads....I can't talk about what I don't know about! Just because I don't respond, or can't add anything to the discussion shouldn't stop me from reading them and quite possibly learning something. That, after all, is the concept behind the forums, isn't it?

If I want just your basic 'idle chatter', then I head off to the chatroom (thats what it's for).

Fear is not what keeps me from posting from any thread here in the forums!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont have to respond to any post, but it would be nice if you would post something from time to time. Just reading and not contibuting is like being one of the oooohhhh--aaaaahhhhh bystanders on a scene, or the firefighter that sits in the truck when everyone else is working.

I held off on posting for the longest time, just lurking getting a feel for the place a bit. I honestly had nothing to add until one thread awhile back where I jumped back in (can't actually remember what it was anymore) and it just went from there. Often times though I'm on the run and don't have time to read every joke and add an "lol."

Also keep in mind that the number of "reads" includes multiple reads by the same user. So when I am watching a thread to see what happens with it, and I click to it 5-6 times, that's 6 reads right there.

People also don't post because many people don't want to get dragged into the battles that inevitably ensue here. In order to establish credibility and give yourself a foundation that people respect you have to post a good deal, which takes a little bit of work and investment. How many times have we seen a newer person jump in, say something, get tromped because nobody knows who they are, and then disappear? And for those who are not inclined towards writing, the forum is more of a chore than a creative forum or outlet. There are many who undoubtedly benefit by simply reading and taking what they read back to their own work and social community for discussion. Just because they choose not to engage with the community here doesn't mean they're not participating.

I don't think it's FEAR, I think it's different approaches to discussion. Some people wait until a topic comes along that they absolutely feel a need to provide input on, and then they cease posting after that topic or they begin posting on other topics. To try to force anyone through shame or other motive to post before they want to is kind of silly, IMHO.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Another thing. I absolutely love that we have so many funny or game threads... but I have to say it really pisses me off to see people with thousand-post counts with 90% of their posts having come from said threads. I have a lot more respect for those who choose to post wisely on the topics we have up for discussion. No offense to those who use the City as their Solitaire substitute, but don't expect me to respect your post count, because I know it's 99% bullshit.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This is a public forum and can come up on almost any search engine. Anybody can look through the posts and not register. Some may browse just for amusement or curiosity. Some may prefer not to register and risk getting their email address sold.

Since I and a few others view this site occasionally on a computer in the ED lounge, this site is in the list of freguented addresses. Nurses, MDs and whoever else may browse through. Some again just for amusement and prefer not to comment because "it is just too damn funny the way some EMT(s) perceive medicine and other medical professionals". Why waste time correcting/arguing something you already know to exist? And, others have their own forums to post on.

Quite often the attitudes on the EMS forums are just amusing (or embarrassing) and not always in a good way which also discourages new posters.

Dont be a EMTCITY STALKER, hiding in the bushes, come out and play. And most of those people who criticize others dont know their ass from a hole in the ground. Thats how they boost their pitiful egos, by trying to be superior and by putting others down. Its like how you can always spot the worst medic on a mass casualty scene -- its the one that is yelling and screaming at everyone else. So when the so-called intellectuals bite your head off in here, just realized that they are lonely, miserable, people. Feel sorry for them, dont let them chase you off.

Could it be that some fear being ridiculed for their opinions? Even if the opinion is based on bedrock solid information?

OK, then it turns into the bashing.

One not mentioned here, there is always the proponents of "Bran' Spankin' New" ways of doing things, versus the "But we've always done things THIS way" crowd.

I mention the link at the bottom of all the postings, under the New Topic link button, that, when clicked on, will have the city send you notification when anyone puts in a posting on that string. The way it is supposed to work, and it seems to me to be doing it well, anyone posts after you read the string, you get an E-Mail advising there's been new postings. This works as one E-Mail, with no further updating E-mails until another posting after you've read the string. This is automatically done when you post on a string in the first place.

If you are watching such string by activating this link, or after posting, the link changes to one to click if you no longer want to follow the string.

I have used both on this site.

I disagree. Feel free to continue reading as much as you like, and don't feel obligated to post. If you do feel like you have something to say, please, by all means contribute! The more moderate types in here will encourage you and get your back.

Just because *you* feel like you must sound off to contribute or be part of the discussion doesn't mean everyone has to, crotchity. Some of the smartest people in my classes here in college are the quiet ones- who actually listen and absorb before commenting. Their comments are often much more germane than those whose hands are continually in the air. They're not lurkers, they're not draining anything, they're simply participating in their own way.

Wendy

CO EMT-B