studying methods and....

TDP

I just want to see how everyone out there gets into their studying knees deep in information. I feel like it doesn't really matter how much I study I still feel like I know nothing. Im still nervous going into exams. Wether your a EMS professional,Nurse or at the University level i'd like to hear how you guys study. It gets fustrating after awhile :shock:

Varies person to person, I always liked acronyms (like SAMPLE), poems, or songs --- for instance, the old vfib protocol was remembered with this short song or poem:

Shock, Shock, Shock, Everybody shock, Little shock, Big shock, Everybody shock.

Where shock was the 3 progressively higher defibs

Where the e in everybody stood for epi

L in little stood for lidocaine

B in Big stood for bretylium

Also note my message for Heart Blocks under the student section, same logic.

But in some things, I just had to write it like 50 times to get it to stick in my head --- flash cards were also useful.

You have to figure out what works best for your brain

I would read the material before each lecture. Then I would take detailed notes during the lecture. After the lecture, I would transcribe my notes into my notebook computer, with pictures from the WEB. I had the material down cold after this. For memorization (drugs) I would make flash cards and drill drill drill. This required a lot of time and commitment, but I ended with a 4.0. 8) Good luck to you.

I use a variety of method together to help me prepare for test. I read the chapter hopefully before the lecture. With my notes and vital vocabulary I make online flashcards at www.flashcardexchange.com which a free site easy to use where you can make electronic flashcards. I study the flashcards till I know them and understand them.

The other methods include using work books, and the websites the books offer which usually have questing for every chapter. The ones I get wrong get added to my flashcards and there you have it.

I prefer to cheat.

nooooo seriously, I have always found that reading the material, outlining it, and then re-reading the outline worked well for me.

At other times just listening to the lecture did just fine like for treatment of fractures and the like.

but heart blocks, meds, 12 leads and many other things it takes repetition and writing it down, reading it and then writing what i learned down again that fit my bill.

• 1 month later...
I prefer to cheat.

nooooo seriously, I have always found that reading the material, outlining it, and then re-reading the outline worked well for me.

At other times just listening to the lecture did just fine like for treatment of fractures and the like.

but heart blocks, meds, 12 leads and many other things it takes repetition and writing it down, reading it and then writing what i learned down again that fit my bill.

Nice. I found for me it was a matter of repetition. I read out loud at home and read over it at work. I used to find whoever was willing to be my patient and had them review the material with me as I did my assessments. In the care I used to read outloud what it was I was trying to review. The more you read it, the more you write it the more drilled in becomes (reading as well as hearing it when reading it out loud is one of the key factors that make a difference in learning. Makes it easier for your brain if it comes in thru different media).

I also had posters on my calls as well when I first started and used flashcards for drugs. Mixed them around and took them everywhere with me.

I would read the matterial as well before lectures. I'd read a paragraph, and then reread it while highlighting what I felt the most relevant points were. After I'd finish a chapter I would go through and make notes from the highlighted text, using my own words of course. Then I'd condense those notes to be as very specific as possible.

During the lectures, (I NEVER took, nor take primary notes during college lectures as my pea brain finds it impossible to try and think around the corners of what's being discussed and summarize if for my notes at the same time), I'd make additions or corrections to the notes I had previously taken and later condense it again, the things I felt necessary, onto flashcards for regular study.

For me, condensing the material is vital. What can stay and what can go? Why? Which parts are important, but I'll remember when put into the context of the parts I transcribe? I feel that I have a very good grasp of the information at the end of the process, though it certainly isn't for the weak of heart. I did come to enjoy the process though, as it often feels mindless, but even I seemed to pick up things as I rewrote them, if I was paying attention or not. I studied a minimum of 5 hours/day, every day of the week throughout college, whether school was in or not. I don't think there is any way to eliminate of the need for some brute force studying, at least I couldn't find it...but it only lasts for a while, you need to remember that.

And also for me, group study is the best. The problem though is that if you want a study group, you need to be prepared to organize it, prepare all of the material, and eliminate anyone that isn't as motivated as you...it can become an additional job that you might not need right now.

Good luck!

Dwayne

I don't have a specific study habit, I just do what I do and pray to god I pass. I generally spend hours on end wading through all the useless information trying to depict what I need to know. I don't take notes in class because the teachers just read off a powerpoint and were provided with the exact copy at the end of each class. In the lead up to an exam I will read the chapter, write my own notes then do all the chapter questions and review questions, they generally base parts of there exam from the chapter review questions.

Because my nursing training is a pilot program there pretty all over the shop when it comes to our education and because of the nursing shortage we just get who ever feels like teaching us to deliver the lecture. If I wasn't for doing shifts in the hospital and being constantly exposed to different clinical situations, being thrown in the deep end and treating patients on my own and having good support from the nursing staff then I don't know were I'd be. I do a lot of my own reading and research, I work 40 hours a week in the hospital and 8 hours in class.

I will always take notes on my patients, I carry a note pad in my nursing hip pouch and write down everything about them i.e. What there presenting with, medications, treatment ect then go home a read into everything. I find that reality based learning is so good for me because I can come back the next day and apply that theoretical to a real situation.

Were under a lot of pressure to work overtime because of the nursing shortage, some weeks after working 40 plus hours in the hospital you really dont feel like studying. I would have to say the only time I would study for class is maybe 2 weeks before an exam, the rest of the time I throw my class notes aside to concentrate on learning about the patients that are under my care.

To be truthful I really haven't learnt a great deal in class, some of my lecturers have no idea and if you ask a question that hasn't been covered in the powerpoint they have no idea. How I miss paramedic school!