EMS Based Fire anyone?

ninjaemtff

I know a lot of people on here are against fire-based EMS, and basically just everything that has to do with the fire department. As a firefighter, this hurts me a bit. BUT lets put that aside, because I've come up with an idea that should make you folks happy!

What about EMS based Fire? Let EMS run the show, be in charge, be high and mighty like they deserve! I mean, EMS are the people that deal with the most. Let them have the pretty things, and be in control of the fire departments instead of the other way around. Make them constantly renew their certifications (though a lot of awesome firefighters constantly take classes to improve themselves, but come on now you don't want to give us credit, so we'll look past that as well.)

Now this is a new idea, but I would love to hear people input so I can build on it and maybe one day make it successful!

I'm thinking that if you want to be any form of firefighter, at minimum you have to be an EMT-B, to move up to an officers position you have to be at least an EMT-I, and to be the head dog on the fire part you have to be a paramedic. T

I don't know, this could work. I'll post more when I have it all worked out, but come on give me some input guys!

Here's another thought...

Choose a subject that describes your topic. When starting a new topic, it is important that you choose a subject title that accurately reflects the content of the thread. Do not make people guess what is in your topic. Threads posted with teaser titles like, "Guess what!," "I need help!," "What do you think?," "What would you do?," "What should be done?" or simply "Question!" will be deleted with extreme prejudice.

Personally speaking, looking at what I deal with and nowhere else. EMS pays the way. Fire gets some taxes, but that just takes some strain off. EMS does the fund raising, the ass kissing, and the begging; and the firemen show up for their calls and their parades.

To be on a board that oversees both fire and EMS is so goddamn frustrating; because the fire service is so fecking unregulated... and EMS in PA is so fecking corrupted, you can't get anything done with that either. It makes a lot of bad blood. Fire saps a lot of money, then says whooaaa, easy on the spending when it comes to an EMS issue.

Like everything; Pros and Cons.. I don't know which outweighs the other, it would slowly kill us from stress, to try and weed that out.

So... do you just not read the content of posts about Fire-based EMS? Or have you chose to ignore them to create a post to stir the pot (as per your avatar)?

Admittedly more than a few members here are not only anti-Fire Based EMS, but as an extension are not big fans of fire. What you might have missed is that no one wants control of Fire either. They want EMS to be on its own as a separate agency and profession not held back by split commitments. If you'd like to know more, use search and read.

I'm not rehashing this one any further and to be honest, with posts like this I'm rapidly understanding the less patient views of some of my colleagues on here with regards to these threads.

Let EMS run the show, be in charge, be high and mighty like they deserve!
Huh? Why the &!#* would I want to run the FD? I would have become a firefighter had I wanted to do deal with fire stuff. Might as well have the sanitation center run the PD and the school district take over the department of health.

I don't "hate" FD. I'm just like you said "against fire-based EMS". I'm against fire-based Law enforcement and school district based garbage trucks too.

Got to agree with Timmy.

Fire and EMS should be two entirely separate entities, as should be law enforcement.

My hometown has a Public Safety Dept, which is Police/Fire, and it works like sheite. The ones who want to be firefighters hate the police part and the ones who want to be police hate the fire part.

In a fire, they usually are able to save the chimney, but little else.

It just isn't the way to go, separate them and be done with it.

It would never work. To be a fireman you have to have a "real" job in construction, electrical, or plumbing, and use the Fire Department for benefits only. Paramedics work at their full-time profession, and then freelance at their part-time EMS job. If paramedics took over the fired department, it would no longer be a frat house, it would be forward moving, thinking man's profession. Cant have that.

Well then super hero, I work for the fire dept, we have 9 stations here just outside of Atlanta our community decided that they want theirselves takin care of in emergency situations. Brought this up at the commissioners meeting and had a patition that makes all fire personnel NPQ II certified ALS certified and require everyday training in ems and fire. They commissioners agreed and now all personnell are paramedics and we have met their requirments, so i believe this is what you are shooting for in your suggestion. Btw i believe its beneficial to the public that they came up with this and to us also. We are required by our department to rotate on the rescue every 3 months to keep our skills up on patient care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.