Stupid EMS Rules, Regulations, or Practices ................

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought that was a wrestling move. B)

Not some of the "projects" I use to work. :twisted:

I understand the complaint about "cosmetic lsb" but imagine your basic alcohol/assault/mvc/fall with "neck pain". Is the patient true trauma criteria? Heck no. But with "neck pain" and a simple MOI you try bringing that patient to a University Trauma center and not get strange looks.

I definitely saw a thread on this a while ago but can't remember what arguments were made...if my memory serves me correctly there were no legitimate ones in favor of it.

Reporting blood pressures in even numbers only???

Sure...the analog B/P (AKA by Auscultation) with a traditional dial, the hatch marks are even numbers...the needle is basically always on an even number (needle is wider than the space between hatch marks)...so in theory it can't read odd numbers. Not that it really matters...whats the difference between 1 point on either the systolic or diastolic. Nothing, either way.

Not that it really matters...whats the difference between 1 point on either the systolic or diastolic. Nothing, either way.

To be completely fair, most of the BP cuffs I've seen give a margin of error of +/-3 mm Hg. In reality, you need a swing of 6 mm Hg to show that a patient has a different blood pressure (ex. a BP of 120/x can shown as 117 (minus 3) or 123 (plus 3) as an extreme example. Hence both 117 and 123 can be interpreted as the same pressure)

Sure...the analog B/P (AKA by Auscultation) with a traditional dial, the hatch marks are even numbers...the needle is basically always on an even number (needle is wider than the space between hatch marks)...so in theory it can't read odd numbers. Not that it really matters...whats the difference between 1 point on either the systolic or diastolic. Nothing, either way.

It matters if people know which sphygmomanometer you are using and that it is marked off at increments of 2 mmHg. They will think you don't understand this, thus are clueless when it comes to reading the equipment. It says alot about the person's attention to detail when it comes to using some equipment. I seriously would not want a Paramedic on CCT who thinks an indwelling arterial BP line is "zerod" if it is only "off by one" during the calibration process especially if he/she did not know enough to check if there is a simple reason for the transducer to not calibrate but let it go as only being "one off".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.