Missouri "Paramedic $10.75 per hour" ?

SANDMEDIC

I worked for them for six months. I worked a rural station and was paid for 16 of the 24, unless I was up during the night. I got time and a half, if I was up for 3 or more of the 8, I got the entire night at time and a half. I rarely got the entire night. I took that pay because it was the only paramedic job in the area. I could only get a PRN status at the other hospital, their medic turn-over was unbelievably low, and the wages were only $2/hr higher. I have since relocated, and started nursing school.

It was a kick in the nuts. It was a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. The cost of living isn't bad in the Springfield, MO area, but I'm originally from Baltimore, so I'm sure my idea of high cost of living is different. Seriously, if I have to live hand to mouth, either my pay or my cost of living is screwed up.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work part time for a rural service in Southern Illinois and as a Basic we only make minimum wage ($7.75 per hour) The paramedics here who are full time do not even make $10 an hour. So the $10.75 an hour would be an improvement even for our Paramedics! Where do you all work to make that much? Can I come? lol :lol:

I find it amusing when all those "Paramedics" run and enter into nursing school and graduate only to find they take a cut in pay. Even at $25 -28/hr in comparison to the yearly salary. Even more so, instead of baby siting the patient for 30 minutes now has them for 10 hours. There is usually no break time and one can barely sit down. If one is able to provide the "best care" they can; it is an oddity and rarity and not the norm.

Hence I am seeing many of the former Paramedics to RN's now wanting to return back into the EMS arena. Alike myself, realizing you did not recognize a good thing when you had it. I currently have three RN's in a refresher course to allow them to re-take the NREMT for their Paramedic license again.

I do believe we will see an influx of those that had left the field as the pay, shortage and demand increases for seasoned Paramedics. I know employers will welcome those back in lieu of the new generation of graduates with the new "generation Y" attitude.

All I will say is that is nice to see Paramedics again that will want to work, give excellent care & enjoy their job while doing so.

R/r 911

Modified Kelly - 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off. Beginning Jan 1, we go to 48 on, 96 off. Tough gig for those that can't sleep whenever they get a chance to. I'm good with an hour here, 30 minutes there as long as I get 3 or 4 at some point uninterrupted.

Sorry about using an obscure term.

48 on and 96 off??? why??? thats crazy

Why? I do it sometimes with 48 on and 24 off even in a busier EMS. Also know of services with 48-72 on. Remember, not all services run extreme number of calls.

R/r 911

Just sounds weird, never heard anyone do that before......

Just sounds weird, never heard anyone do that before......

I very often to 120 on then get anywhere from a week to 2 weeks off. Again slow service. In busy services with no rest I don't feel it's safe to do more than 12 hours.