Help! His passed out in the toilet!

Timmy

Headache, puking, tired, partied = Trying to play too hard while hung over may have been the start to something. I agree with LR, D50 when available. Narcan, why not? Check BLC often. What was the rhythm again..."fix it's self"? like Brady with occasional PVC's with PVC's become less as heart rate goes up?

Any pitting edema anywhere in extremities?

Did he take a blow to the abd., flank, mid-lumbar areas? Also re-confirm no hit to the head.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ECG shows a dysthrythmia (I cant remember what it was but one that will 'fix it self' once his been re hydrated)

Three options 1) Sinus tach, 2)You misheard or mis-remember 3)Medic is an idiot(?)

He is Australian.
I think this comment is indicating that being Australian and Muslim are mutually exclusive. OR maybe it's an explanation for why you couldn't understand what he was saying :lol:

After talking with him you find out his been at a party, has not had any sleep/eaten/had any fluids apart from alcohol in the last 48 hours. He states his had around 1250mls (around 5 cans) of Red Bull and a ‘no doze’ tablet this morning as a pick me up.

Smack him on the side of the head, not hard, but firmly and cuss at him.. Then.. Do what everyone else suggested.

I couldn’t tell you what rhythm he was in, as soon as the medics rocked up I gave hand over and left. I passed them in the staff room at work a few days later, they did mention it but I had other things on my mind. I dare say it was a tachy rhythm and they probably gave amiodarone but I’ll confirm that when I see them next. Anyway, in hospital they found an electrolytes imbalance, I think he spent 12 hours in hospital with around 3 liters of fluid. Just goes to show how Red Bull can throw people out, we recently had a kid riding motocross arrest from to much Red Bull, he died trackside.

we recently had a kid riding motocross arrest from to much Red Bull, he died trackside.

A coroners inquest confirmed that he died as a result of the energy drink, Red Bull? I'm aware of studies that have stated it could lead to an increased risk of HTN or heart disease.. However, almost anything you can name, could have those effects in individual product users.

He is Australian.

Rapid infusion of Fosters Lager PO. Treat and release, job done!

In Australia we like to stabilize on scene if we can, his improving with your treatment so there’s no hurry. We have no med control, just guidelines, so do what you like. After talking with him you find out his been at a party, has not had any sleep/eaten/had any fluids apart from alcohol in the last 48 hours. He states his had around 1250mls (around 5 cans) of Red Bull and a ‘no doze’ tablet this morning as a pick me up.

If he hasn't had any food in the last 48 hours, then his liver has used up the glycogen stores. The body has been turning to non-carb substances to convert to glucose (process called gluconeogenesis). EtOH impairs gluconeogenesis, leading to no glucose... ie this scenario. Treat it with oral carbs if the pt comes around enough to control his airway and can eat safely. If not oral, D50. He'll also need fluid resuscitatation. Thiamine is a great thought if you have it pre-hospital. EtOH-induced hypoglycemia does not respond to glucagon, although it wouldn't harm him either.

He may have been having PACs, brought on by the caffeine in Red Bull and No-Doz. That's an arrhythmia that will "fix itself."

I'm curious where the ethnicity/Muslim question came from... were you thinking G6PD deficiency?

I was wondering about the use of Glucagon myself. Why would ALS providers use it when any provider capable of IV access could use D50 or D10 to bring the sugars up (preferably with thiamine if available)? As was mentioned just previous those "emergency stores" would probably be used up in this case anyway. I would only ever use glucagon if I was unable to get a line. Maybe that's just me. I look at glucagon as an absolute last resort. Plus it's absurdly expensive compared to D10 or D50.

If he hasn't had any food in the last 48 hours, then his liver has used up the glycogen stores. The body has been turning to non-carb substances to convert to glucose (process called gluconeogenesis). EtOH impairs gluconeogenesis, leading to no glucose... ie this scenario. Treat it with oral carbs if the pt comes around enough to control his airway and can eat safely. If not oral, D50. He'll also need fluid resuscitatation. Thiamine is a great thought if you have it pre-hospital. EtOH-induced hypoglycemia does not respond to glucagon, although it wouldn't harm him either.

He may have been having PACs, brought on by the caffeine in Red Bull and No-Doz. That's an arrhythmia that will "fix itself."

I'm curious where the ethnicity/Muslim question came from... were you thinking G6PD deficiency?

I was thinking along the lines of you in regards to no food lately -> ramadan