Mayor: ‘Now is not the time’ for fire-based EMS

CBEMT

MY point is that I can see where they the Taunton Fire Dept think they can provide EMS to the city. Thanks Dust for getting back on track.

Okay, but couldn't anyone? I can name two dozen ambulance companies that "can" provide EMS to the city. I can name two or three other departments within the city infrastructure that could provide fire service too. Should they? The question here is not who "can" do it. They are claiming that they can actually make the city a profit, and that is the part that is most hotly contested here. And really, isn't it the fire service who so often whines that EMS shouldn't be a for-profit venture to justify their hostile takeovers?

Everything about this deal flies in the face of all logic and historical evidence. It stands as indisputable proof that the fire service is not intellectually equipped to run EMS, and that they will say anything -- even to the point of contradicting themselves -- in order to achieve their dishonest agenda.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this pretty much the same conversation we have beat to death in other threads?

Fire wants to take over EMS to ensure the survival of big Fire. The changes in building codes and materials used alone have reduced the number of residental fires we see. As for the industrial setting, the fire detection devices and suppression systems have as well. Will there still be fires, of course, as long as there are fuel sources and idiots, there will be fires. But, gone are the days of splinter construction and dusty sweatshops and the need for a fire brigade on each corner.

Thus, Big Fire has seen the writing on the wall, and reacted early to ensure it's survival by the easiest means available, take over EMS. But ask your average firefighter about being an EMT or a Paramedic, and the most common answer is, "have to have it to work with the department", not, "that's what I wanted to be".

They have their big unions, who lobby for their takeover, and we are so damn busy fighting about whether EMTs have a reason for living, or if Paragods are ruining the profession, that we let them get their hands in the cookie jar and damn near steal everything.

EMS is just that, Emergency MEDICAL service, not Fire Fighting and if the flames die down, we might have time to check you out.

If you want to fight fire, be my guest. I have no desire to fight fire and shine up the big red truck, my desire, my profession is about patient care.

Don't blow smoke up my ass telling me that fire is the best thing for EMS, it isn't.

Mr. Mayor, the time for fire to take over EMS is NEVER.

To all who posted thanks for enlightening me. You all presented some very valid points. Your honesty and commitment to EMS and patient care did not go unnoticed.

which ever way it goes the city gets what it paid for. or doesn't pay for

Defib By the way plumbers repair and join pipes together. theye are not water flow experts..

Thanks again and be safe out there

Defib By the way plumbers repair and join pipes together. theye are not water flow experts..

Actually professional plumbers, not handymen, know how to calculate flow rates, volume, etc so that they properly size piping. Honestly a true professional plumber knows more about water flow than any fire fighter that is not also a professional plumber ever will. Please do not degrade a profession that provides mankind with one of the most important services of the modern age.

The thing about these kinds of threads is not once has ANYONE said ANYTHING about law enforcement getting into EMS as a 'side bar' to supplement THEIR annual income!

How many Sheriff's Departments around the country have a 'paramedic division'?

If 'bunker gear and EMS' is such a 'bad combination', does that mean that BULLETS and EMS is a better match?

Or is it that only Firefighter's are 'too dumb' to be able to do more than one thing?

I've been on this site for almost 3 years now, and not once has this topic EVER come up with such vehmence as it does about the 'dumb firemonkeys/hose jockies/smoke eaters, (or whatever other derogatory term you choose to use)'! Come to think about it, the subject of law enforcement getting into EMS has NEVER come up (that I'm aware of). The usual things I've ever seen about EMS and law enforcement being mentioned in the same post is talking about the 'donut eaters' is riding along with a restrained patient, or arguing with the 'flat footed crowd' about who has control of a scene, and let's not forget the ever popular 'canaries of haz-mat scenes'!

That's because there is no concerted nationwide effort by the IACP to monopolise EMS, as the IAFC and IAFF are doing. In the few LE based EMS systems I have seen, they were neither truly LE based (all sworn officers, no civilian medics) nor true transport EMS. There is a difference between those who do what they have to do to meet a special need, and those who are planning to take over an entire industry for their own gain.

Actually professional plumbers, not handymen, know how to calculate flow rates, volume, etc so that they properly size piping. Honestly a true professional plumber knows more about water flow than any fire fighter that is not also a professional plumber ever will. Please do not degrade a profession that provides mankind with one of the most important services of the modern age.

As a former 2nd year apprentice plumber... I thank you spenac

I guarantee I know more about water flow/pressures in responce to friction, grade, temperature, and volume than ANY FF out there. (well I used to).

And yes, I can also put pipes together .... without leaks, and I don't run over them when I'm done :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBTgG9E_2dc

I come from a family of Master Plumbers (Grandfather, Dad, 3 uncles). A good, actual plumber is a highly skilled, well paid trade. In fact a Master Plumber in the City of Toronto currently charges $100/hr labour due to shortage and demand. I could make far better money in the family business, but chose EMS instead. Sometimes I wonder about that.

There's some crappy plumbers out there and hopefully they make money that reflects that.

I come from a family of Master Plumbers (Grandfather, Dad, 3 uncles). A good, actual plumber is a highly skilled, well paid trade. In fact a Master Plumber in the City of Toronto currently charges $100/hr labour due to shortage and demand. I could make far better money in the family business, but chose EMS instead. Sometimes I wonder about that.

There's some crappy plumbers out there and hopefully they make money that reflects that.

Well, look at it this way: You'll be a master plumber of a different sort!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.