Mayor: ‘Now is not the time’ for fire-based EMS

CBEMT

Taunton —

This isn’t the time to even consider implementing a fire department-based EMS service to the city, Mayor Charles Crowley told the City Council Tuesday night.

What with Gov. Deval Patrick grappling with a $1.4 billion state budget deficit — the local budgetary ramifications of which are still to be conclusively determined — handing over emergency medical services to the Taunton Fire Deportment is a proposal, the mayor said, that he would be forced to dismiss if it came to his desk.

“I’m just warning you now,” Crowley said. “Right now is not the time.”

In September, the department’s EMS committee, along with union members from Local 1391, presented a proposal to the council that called for handing over all EMS operations to the Taunton fire department.

The plan described start-up expenses over the first two years of at least $700,000, but also predicted that the city would realize a handsome annual profit from that point on.

Such a move would also entail phasing out the current no-cost contract with American Medical Response.

Council president A.J. Marshall at one point told the mayor that he simply wanted to know whether or not the fire department had any real intention of pressing the issue.

Crowley, who retains the authority to sign the measure into law, said that the fire department is well aware of how difficult it would be for him to approve their proposal.

“It’s not news to them,” he said.

The bottom line, he said, is that any budgetary cuts the governor eventually makes “will affect us.”

Coupled with anticipated “up-front” costs — associated with hiring EMS personnel and purchasing equipment — makes such a plan untenable, at least for the foreseeable future, Crowley said.

Mark Baptiste, the fire department’s union president, said that despite current economic travails, the EMS committee remains “committed to the process.”

“They do not view it as a waste of time,” Baptiste said.

cwinokoor@tauntongazette.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taunton —

The plan described start-up expenses over the first two years of at least $700,000, but also predicted that the city would realize a handsome annual profit from that point on.

cwinokoor@tauntongazette.com

That is always the claim when fire trys to take over EMS. Yet the systems I am aware of soon find out that they are losing money. One small town I am aware of used to pay $100000 a year to a private company. Well the city council saw the $1000 they billed the 800 patients they had per year. The council multiplied the $1000 X 800 and were like we'll make big money if we take over. They took over. Now they are in the negative on EMS over $250000 a year. They never took into account that few pay. And that government reimbursement is very small amount. Bet the fire union will fail to provide these possibilitys to them.

anytime a goverment official or a union rep claims you will be making a profit just turn that number around and consider it a loss.

They are never never right.

Look at Massachussetts healthcare - over budget

Look at any highway project and you will see cost over-runs out the wazoo

Look at the new bridge in Minneapolis - I understand it is over budget, behind schedule and has a negative satsifaction rate to the stakeholders.

Never never trust a government official to give you the true cost up front. anyone who trusts them is as dumb as a box of rocks and I have a bridge to nowhere I wanna sell em.

I live and work in the neighboring community to Taunton. I do not know what figures were used to calculate there projected revenue. I will say that where they say it is of no cost to the town to use AMR that is not true. We the taxpayers pay for it by the means Medicaid/Medicare and the states new health care policy for those who don't have the ability to get health care. There are also model fire departments in mass that actually do make revenues that subsidize not only there own dept but other dept in there community. Where i work we have a budget of 350k (which we exceed) by approx 160k give or take a couple grand. This 160k is 4 FF/medics we could haved if we got to keep those funds. These extra funds go back into a general account for the town to spend anywhere they see fit. We give away about an additional 80k year to mutual aid EMS services. Our call volume is 1300 EMS transports a year, with a populations of 22K. So with Taunton being a city of( guess) 30k plus can see where the 700k figure and recoup time comes from.

AMR has only 1 ALS truck that is dedicated to the city and it was a common practice to use FD mutual aid ambulance to cover the cities EMS needs up until this was brought to the table by the FD. Knowing some of the providers who work the city truck there is definitly know question as to the care they supply. This is strictly based on financial needs for that city. I think the FD could do the job as well as long as there are no short cuts taken.

Oh please....a town of 30,000 needs fire based ems as much as it needs its own SWAT team...oh wait, they have that. :wink: Every little town fire department wants its own ALS, even though with the tiny call volume the experience level is almost nil. What they need is a higher volume regional ALS system, with EMS professionals responding with fire department first responders. Fire based EMS in Taunton would not make money, it would lose money, although save firefighter jobs and be in line with the IAFF's mission.

ALS EMS making money! ROFL!

And EMERGENCY only at that!

Whoever suggested that should should their fat head examined. At their own expense. After they are fired.

P3 I value your suggestion but are there facts to back it up. I stated that monetary facts in my posting. I do have to correct my population figure as I was off by 26k Total population 56251. Dust yes there is the ability to make money if properly set up an run. Not sure if your familiar with the levels of payment with medicare or that of the private insurance agencies here in mass. I know I am. How many of these systems you describe p3 are in operation here in mass. I can only count a few that i am aware of. I am biasis to the fire side yes but I have also worked, owned and manage an ambulance service so i do have some insight on how it works. Pm me if you want to verify what I say is true. Will be happy to give anyone that info. final note I mean no disrespect to any one just thowing in my two cents.

Brendan

Oh please....a town of 30,000 needs fire based ems as much as it needs its own SWAT team...

To be fair, the town of I grew up in had fire based EMS (it sucked, but that's a county wide problem) and it's own SWAT team and only had a population of 50,000. Of course they contracted with the next town over for police helicopter service.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.