Code At A Funeral Home

firedoc5

Has anyone had a code at a funeral home? I'm not talking about someone on the slab, but say like during the wake or the service it's self a mourner goes down? I know several times some one may faint, but I'm talking going into full arrest.

Unfortunately yes.

I had a grandparent code at the funeral of a child who had drowned. His funeral was 5 days later.

I also had a gang related shooting at a funeral that resulted in two codes but both were called at scene which was very uncomfortable considering the location.

I know they say it is rare, normally it is someone that just fainted. But I've had it three times. There was one funeral where the person was very high up in the Mason's organization and they have their own private ceremony. It was during the ceremony, the speaker who was performing it, just collapsed.

When we got there the funeral home staff was doing CPR. Later we found out that it is required of them to be certified. I believe, due to that, it was a save. But I don't think he ever recovered from it.

The staff their we all knew very well. We did removals and transports for them. A few weeks later while sitting around we were talking about it saying how Charlie, the FH owner was trying to drum up his own business, or saying that the main reason they did CPR on the guy was because their cooler was already full. I know, we were sick.

Yep, several times. One was the spouse of the deceased (even heard in the background if they could make a double ceremony).. and one was at a Native American Indian inside a tepee (yes, a real one) with the deceased (yep, you guessed it .. one I had worked) on the burial platform. I have to admit this was strange to be shocking someone in a tepee and seeing the vast cultural and technology changes...

R/r 911

At least they dont have far to go....... :D

But what about a "5/8" arrest?????

You mean they are mostly dead, but not fully dead?

Is that like the arrest that comes in at "5 minutes til 8", when you are about to change shifts, so you just call them on-scene so you can get off on time? :lol:

yah we had one yesterday, guy started feeling real faint, and passed, out, checked a pulse and it was 20. Got the paramedics there a few minutes later and the guy was in pea. Unfortunatly the guy didn't come back after 6 shocks, eppi and atropine. Worked on this guy for 25 mins:(

yah we had one yesterday, guy started feeling real faint, and passed, out, checked a pulse and it was 20. Got the paramedics there a few minutes later and the guy was in pea. Unfortunatly the guy didn't come back after 6 shocks, eppi and atropine. Worked on this guy for 25 mins:(

....Shocking PEA is never going to give you a perfusing rhythm....just saying. Never had one in a funeral home but they drop like flies in church.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.