Disco CPR!

I just read this - it was actually a comment that was made throughout my class as well as another one bites the dust - heaven forbid a pt realized that was what we were playing. LOL. I'm all for whatever works though, just not in front of the family - might cause a little problem there !

Just don't start singing it in four part harmony, especially if their is family around.

I'm also surprised this just hit the media. The EMS Officer for a local FD who did my CPR refresher used Stayin' Alive as an example of something to keep in your head for doing compressions. I can honestly stay the lesson sticks with you - much as that song stays stuck in your head. :-)

The only problem with playing that song while doing CPR is fighting the urge to actually dance, and even after theres a major possibility of the patient wanting starting to disco in the ICU when they wake up :shock: The real question is, do you then throw them out or do you send them to the psych ward???

I've never taught a class where I said that you can do compressions to a song beat. I'd teach what ARC and AHA told us to teach. (I was an Instructor for both, and for EMT classes). But after the class I'd tell them what they might need to expect. If the first two man squad get's there and has only had time to do CPR, and you're the second in, there's no counting on compressions, especially if it's a Medic doing the compression. They are going to be yelling orders, assigning others to take over CPR. ""Grab this, get this, do that." Luckily we had enough 1st in and 2nd crews that worked together so many times it was rarely that chaotic and hardly ever had to ask for anything. There were two or three EMT-I's that I trusted (and approved by the PMD) to already have what drugs I needed out of the box and lined up.

For about a three year span we were able to have that kind of camaraderie.

I know the song not to use to do CPR with........"Another one bites a dust" :lol::D

but really, thats the last thing on my mind when working an arrest is a song to do it too.......... :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.