FD Launches In-House Paramedic Education Program

VentMedic

That's a good point. I wonder if it would be possible for a department looking to meet a staff training need like this to establish a specialized program, but that remains directly affiliated and run through an accredited college as a combination p/t and distance education. That might also decrease the start-up costs for the department that may only be looking at maintaining their program for three years, and therefore may not want to invest significant funds into equipment and facilities and resist the urge to then turnaround and create a certificate mill to justify the costs of starting the program.

My Dear Mr. Memphis, I am appalled at the fact that you, a lofty knowledgeable Fire Lieutenant does not know that there are two levels of EMT Intermediate recognized by the NREMT, and that they are distinguished by the annotation of the year the levels were established. However, due to your obvious oversight, allow me to explain.

You are free to verify this on the NREMT's website, and can as well follow up with the Georgia EMS website.

EMT-Intermediate 1985 standard

EMT-Intermediate 1999 standard.

Depending on which standard your state recognizes, and, as we all know, some states don't recognize Intermediates at all, will determine what level you are trained to in you school.

Surely one would have thought that someone with your vast knowledge and grasp of the educational system would be well versed in all levels of EMS training and educational standards. (Gasp in Shock)

And no, my dear Richard Cranium, I have been an EMT-I (1985 standard) since 2005, and will in fact, graduate in December as your most hated thing, a Paramedic.

I am minded of a quote I believe it was Samuel Clemens, I could be wrongs, but anyway I thought of it when I read your offerings.

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

My Dear Mr. Memphis, I am appalled at the fact that you, a lofty knowledgeable Fire Lieutenant does not know that there are two levels of EMT Intermediate recognized by the NREMT, and that they are distinguished by the annotation of the year the levels were established. However, due to your obvious oversight, allow me to explain.

You are free to verify this on the NREMT's website, and can as well follow up with the Georgia EMS website.

EMT-Intermediate 1985 standard

EMT-Intermediate 1999 standard.

Depending on which standard your state recognizes, and, as we all know, some states don't recognize Intermediates at all, will determine what level you are trained to in you school.

Surely one would have thought that someone with your vast knowledge and grasp of the educational system would be well versed in all levels of EMS training and educational standards. (Gasp in Shock)

And no, my dear Richard Cranium, I have been an EMT-I (1985 standard) since 2005, and will in fact, graduate in December as your most hated thing, a Paramedic.

I am minded of a quote I believe it was Samuel Clemens, I could be wrongs, but anyway I thought of it when I read your offerings.

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

No where have I proclaimed to know everything about fire or EMS. I was 12 in 1985. I didn't know so I asked a question. That is not foolish. It is the fool that doesn't ask the question when they don't know.

I congratulate you. You have been an EMT for 3 years and are already an expert on what will work and what won't on a national level. I have been an EMT for nearly 18 years and not one time have I had all the worries presented on this thread, but admittedly, I am pro-fire.

Richard Cranium, I get it. You are more clever than I gave you credit.

DocHarris - I wasn't yelling pal, just explaining what got me to this point. I will contact Barry and see if he has access to and would be willing to post the information you inquired about. Bear in mind, the curriculum was and will be very strictly monitored because it is the first program being offered outside of a college or university. The article also states it was unanimously approved because of the great success the department has had over the years teaching EMT and EMT-IV. I guess nobody saw that part.

I congratulate you. You have been an EMT for 3 years and are already an expert on what will work and what won't on a national level. I have been an EMT for nearly 18 years and not one time have I had all the worries presented on this thread, but admittedly, I am pro-fire.

Your priorities are different. Holding a cert on paper for 18 years and actually having an interest in it as a profession are not the same.

not one time have I had all the worries presented on this thread,

People who don't care about something usually do not have any worries.

But, as you have stated many times, you are FIRE and have little to do with EMS except for the Paramedics who you call Paragods at your station. So, why are you trying to discuss anything about EMS on an EMS forum? To you EMS is just another job or just a bunch of Paramedics that you have to oversee. It means little to you as a career. Fire Fighting is your career as you have stated over and over. We get your stance on FIRE and EMS.

Nobody has declared being a expert. If you had been keeping up with the EMS profession even if it meant reading JEMS or EMS mag occasionally you would know a little more. But by your posts you don't have any idea about the EMS profession on national issues yet you bash someone who does take their career in EMS seriously enough to stay informed.

And while you were 12 in 1985 I was a Sergeant in the Army serving in Germany, and a Combat Lifesaver to boot, so perhaps just perhaps, I might have a little life experience and insight on which to base my opinions.

I have seen the swing to fire based EMS in my own state, and also seen Fire/Police in the town I live in. It didn't and doesn't work. Period.

Just because I decided to come in full time only recently, doesn't mean I existed in a vacuum prior to that.

Fire based EMS may work for you, but from what I've seen, it is only the beginning of the demise of my chosen profession.

But, as you have stated many times, you are FIRE and have little to do with EMS except for the Paramedics who you call Paragods at your station. So, why are you trying to discuss anything about EMS on an EMS forum? To you EMS is just another job or just a bunch of Paramedics that you have to oversee. .

Again you read to much into my posts or do not pay attention at all. I do not call paramedics at my station or any other around here that I can remember paragods. I called someone on here that because they presented and continue to present with that attitude. Again, my paramedics are quite happy and asked for their assignments. They are not forced to work with me. They contacted me and put in for an opening by choice. In fact, they left stations they were not happy with in part, because they had issues with their supervisors.

But by your posts you don't have any idea about the EMS profession on national issues yet you bash someone who does take their career in EMS seriously enough to stay informed.
I think I have been on the defensive. I am not the one calling people firemonkeys, dickheads, or any other names.

And while you were 12 in 1985 I was a Sergeant in the Army serving in Germany, and a Combat Lifesaver to boot, so perhaps just perhaps, I might have a little life experience and insight on which to base my opinions.

Like I stated to DustDevil, although we may have differing opinions, thank you to your service to our country - even though you called me a dickhead.

Just because I decided to come in full time only recently, doesn't mean I existed in a vacuum prior to that.

Fire based EMS may work for you, but from what I've seen, it is only the beginning of the demise of my chosen profession.

Full time, part time, doesn't matter. You have been an EMT 3 years. Granted you may have plenty of life experience, I never suggested otherwise. You have to admit that you have extremely limited experience in EMS, but are calling people dickheads for having a different opinion than you. You would think that having been an officer in the military and having 46 years of life experience would make you a bigger person than that.

The bottom line is this, you and others have a different opinion than I which you are certainly entitled to. That is all it is however, and opinion. It certainly doesn't mean you are right.

Again you read to much into my posts or do not pay attention at all. I do not call paramedics at my station or any other around here that I can remember paragods. I called someone on here that because they presented and continue to present with that attitude. Again, my paramedics are quite happy and asked for their assignments. They are not forced to work with me. They contacted me and put in for an opening by choice. In fact, they left stations they were not happy with in part, because they had issues with their supervisors.

I think I have been on the defensive. I am not the one calling people firemonkeys, dickheads, or any other names.

You can read through your posts here to a refresher. Many of your comments have been highlighted.

Again, when you put something in writing it can come back to haunt you. This is not the only forum this is being discussed and some are linking to this site. Your name is very well known now but not in the ways you may want it to be.

This is not the only forum this is being discussed and some are linking to this site. Your name is very well known now but not in the ways you may want it to be.
Your "scary" messages would be better suited for the kiddies 8 days from now on some Halloween message board. You may pass along that they should know how to find me.