FD Launches In-House Paramedic Education Program

VentMedic

This is on the theme of some of the other threads. I have heard similar words when Florida started accrediting schools outside of the colleges.

Since this is not a degree program, it is difficult to tell exactly how many hours of training they are getting. At least Tennessee requires its instructors to have an Associates Degree. I hope the FD has given some thought about continuing education and maintaining competency with as solid QA/QI program in place.

I don't see too many sacrifices for the FFs as stated in the article since they will be paid for their time and the education is paid for by the taxpayers. I just see those in the profession slipping further from becoming recognized as medical professionals with the minimumal EDUCATION standards as others in healthcare.

But, is it really a medical profession to some? Do some Paramedics and Fire Medics want to be called a healthcare professional without the distinction of being with a FD or ambulance service? Is it just the word Paramedic or Fire Medic that attracts some? We've had those issues when hiring Paramedics for ER Tech positions and they get upset when the title is not Paramedic even when they are not working under their Paramedic license.

http://www.emsresponder.com/article/articl...p;siteSection=1

Memphis FD Launches In-House Paramedic Education Program

Lisa Kelly Eason

The Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)

The Memphis Fire Department's efforts to put more paramedics on the streets have gotten a boost with the recent launch of its in-house paramedic education program.

There are 36 firefighters in the charter class of the intensive, 14-month program, designed to give firefighters advanced lifesaving knowledge.

"It's a commitment to the citizens of Memphis to deliver the highest possible care to save (a) life," said Deputy Fire Chief Gary Ludwig.

Faced with a shortage of paramedics in recent years, the department sought both short- and long-term solutions to the problem, said Fire Department Lt. Lynn Thompson. A bonus policy for paramedics helped address the immediate need - the number of paramedics in the department has increased from about 180 to more than 300 in the last three years.

But the paramedic education program will allow the department to "train our own so that we never see a shortfall again," Thompson said.

Prior to establishing the paramedic program, which launched Sept. 29, the department was allowed to train its employees only to the level of basic emergency medical technician.

Success with that course encouraged emergency medical services instructors to pursue their own paramedic program, said Lt. Kevin Burns.

"We get to train them the way we want them to be trained," Burns said.

EMS personnel spent 18 months preparing for the course, including training instructors, developing skill stations and lesson plans, and acquiring clinical affiliations with local hospitals.

The Tennessee Department of Health Division of Emergency Medical Services board unanimously approved the course last month, making it the first accredited paramedic training program in Tennessee not affiliated with a college or university.

In addition to classroom work and training with state-of-the-art equipment at the Chester Anderson Training Center, students will conduct emergency clinical work in hospitals and ambulances to gain experience in advanced medical techniques.

The program - with a first-year budget of $275,000 - will initially focus on firefighters hired after January 2007, when the department implemented a policy requiring state licensure as a paramedic within three years of being hired. Following a one-year, state-mandated probationary period, the department plans to expand from 36 to 72 candidates per session and hopes to train 120 paramedics over the next three years.

Jakuma Johnson and Chris Robinson both joined the department in October 2007 and were eager to sign up for the paramedic program, despite the sacrifices required of them and their young families.

"It's an opportunity to help people and get back into science," Johnson said. "I've always dreamed of being a hero."

Johnson and Robinson expressed admiration for their instructors and noted the department's commitment to advanced medical training.

"This organization," Robinson said, "is very dedicated to getting more paramedics on the street."

In the dept. I was at we did both "in-house" and hospital or when a class would be offered through the local college we were able to do any of them. One problem was that is when a class was offered, especially a mandatory refresher or other type of class, some of us were teaching the class. It seemed like we were teaching the same class we were taking. It might sound a bit confusing, I know.

But when doing actual "in-house" training, which was at least two hours per weeks, we had Lt./T.O.'s. But some of the Lt./ Training Officers were not Paramedics, then it was up to the Paramedic on shift with the most ALS experience to teach the class. Most of the time it was me. One of the problems with Lt./ T.O.'s that were not Paramedics, most of them had been Paramedics. What caused that is that is that at one time there was an issue of not enough Paramedics to cover every shift. So one of the hiring agreements was that when hired on they had up to three years to become a Paramedic. If for some reason the rookie could not pass the Paramedic class or test, they were dismissed. So it was mandatory that each Fireman had to be a Paramedic. BUT, once a Fireman was promoted to Lt. he had the option of dropping the Paramedic, but would still have to be at least an EMT-A. Confusing, I know. So here we would have T.O.'s that were required to teach CEU's but couldn't. So to get around it, the Paramedic that did teach the class signed off on everyone, but the T.O. had to initial it.

"This organization," Robinson said, "is very dedicated to getting more paramedics on the street."

Bullshyte. I am willing to bet there are at least a thousand currently licensed paramedics in Tennessee who would go to work for the City of Memphis tomorrow if given the opportunity. So then, why the shortage in Memphis? Because it's not about putting medics on the streets. It's about putting more money into the fire department budget. If it were about putting medics on the street -- of which there is no shortage -- it would have been done years ago, and would have nothing to do with the fire department. Stupid, selfish bastards. Their incompetence and stupidity killed Elvis, and I will never forgive them for it.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...ass-in-session/

That is the original article. You have to register to comment, but it is quicker and easier than most registrations, so take a minute when you can.

The people of Memphis really need to hear the truth.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...ass-in-session/

That is the original article. You have to register to comment, but it is quicker and easier than most registrations, so take a minute when you can.

The people of Memphis really need to hear the truth.

So when can we expect to see your post on there?

So when can we expect to see your post on there?

You have been at the Temple for a year and a half now, young Grasshopper.

It is time to cut the umbilicus, go forth, and do good deeds for mankind on your own.

You have been at the Temple for a year and a half now, young Grasshopper.

It is time to cut the umbilicus, go forth, and do good deeds for mankind on your own.

LOL Crazy old man. I see that EMSPROFESSIONAL made a very pointed and good comment on it. Perhaps I should study under him and make some real advancement. :twisted:

As much as I think it's ultimately a bad idea, you have to admit that a 14-month course is certainly better-sounding, at least, than a 4-6 month patch factory. By that I mean it SOUNDS like it has potential.

14 months sounds great unless it is stretched out by having class on only one day as to not interfere with FF duties too much. That is why a degree educational system is much easier to compare length than "hours of training". When presenting you education to legislators and the general public, they can then associate what time you may have put into your education easier. It is like when an EMT-B says their program took almost a year. It is hard to tell if it was because the program was college based and may have required pre or co-requisites or if class was only held 2 hours per week for 52 weeks.

College courses usually have much higher educational requirements for their educators or at least for the people in charge of overseeing the education. No nursing or RT program would even consider having instructors with only a certificate or an Associates degree.