FD Launches In-House Paramedic Education Program

VentMedic

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that they naysayers probably applied for a fire based EMS job and got rejected?

Because, like so many firemonkeys, you believe your own hype. Because you are so impressed with yourself that you actually believe in your feeble mind that everyone wants to be like you. Get over yourself. Just like the vast majority of fire applicants would quickly decline to be a paramedic, if you actually gave them the chance to (which you do not), most people who really want to be a medical professional have no desire to be a firemonkey.

I understand how hard it is to believe that the world does not revolve around the fire service, especially since all the 9/11 hype. And yeah, every little kid dreams of it. But come career choice time for adults, some of us actually want to do medicine, and would prefer not to have to be a fireman just to do it.

The day every one of your new-hires VOLUNTEERS to go to paramedic school because they really, really want to be a healthcare professional, I'll concede you have a successful programme. But right now, you've got squat. They don't want to be there. They just wanted a civil service job that would let them sit in a recliner chair and make money. And those people can't wait to get off the ambulance and go back to their recliner chair.

The point is that the current standard is National Registry or your states equivalent. You either pass it or don't regardless of whether you get your training form a University, a local community college, or your cities own academy.

So in other words, you're ok with the minimum standard NREMT-P working on your family? You wouldn't rather a professionally educated, 100% pre-hospital care provider with a college degree in EMS taking care of your loved ones instead of a 14-month Memphis Mill grad counting the days till he bids an engine?

Yes, they all ultimately take the same certification test (for now). But if you insist there is no difference in quality of care provided by higher education graduates versus certification program alumni, I think we can safely write you off as someone lacking credibility on the subject of Emergency Medical Services.

That is really such a lame argument in the first place. Anyone who attempts it is either being dishonest, or just stupid.

Harvard Medical grads and Pakistani immigrants all take the same licensing exam for physicians too.

I bet you would have a preference between the two of them, when it comes time to take care of your kid. Same thing.

I just could not resist asking Lt. Robert Several question's,Just what makes it far,far better riding in a Memphis FD ambulance than any other ambulance in the world? Snappy uniforms,union benefits,really cool paint schemes on the ambo's? how much time have you spent on the ambulance in your career at Memphis?

St Louis FD EMS can Boast "65,000 calls for help +13 medic units,not one missed call, Justifiably proud" the Difference between St louis and Memphis is you don't have to be a Firefighter to be a paramedic. How many of your 130,000 calls for service belong to the Ambulance crews?

Because, like so many firemonkeys, you believe your own hype. Because you are so impressed with yourself that you actually believe in your feeble mind that everyone wants to be like you. Get over yourself. Just like the vast majority of fire applicants would quickly decline to be a paramedic, if you actually gave them the chance to (which you do not), most people who really want to be a medical professional have no desire to be a firemonkey.

I understand how hard it is to believe that the world does not revolve around the fire service, especially since all the 9/11 hype. And yeah, every little kid dreams of it. But come career choice time for adults, some of us actually want to do medicine, and would prefer not to have to be a fireman just to do it.

The day every one of your new-hires VOLUNTEERS to go to paramedic school because they really, really want to be a healthcare professional, I'll concede you have a successful programme. But right now, you've got squat. They don't want to be there. They just wanted a civil service job that would let them sit in a recliner chair and make money. And those people can't wait to get off the ambulance and go back to their recliner chair.

First of all, I have not reorted to calling anyone an EMS queer, but just because you want to be one doesn't mean that everyone does. Any person that works here has the ability to go to paramedic school either through a college or through our own academy. I have no idea what kind of service you work for, but 98% of our ambulances do not enjoy the benefits of the fire station, yet alone a recliner. The ambulance at my station was literally in the house a total of about 3 total hours out of a 24 hour shift. We were right on par with 12 runs ourselves on the engine.

Currently, ALL of our new hires do volunteer to go to paramedic school. No one makes them apply for the job you know?

Well LT Robert I can give you references to My fire service History if you like but I will let that be up to you
I already stated I could really care less. Your not here, you should do the same.

Your engines/trucks/squads and Battalion Chiefs being ALS staffed and equipped and willing to first respond when an ambulance is not available.
Yes and no. Not every company in the city is ALS, but every company is a dispatched on medical calls when deemed appropriate by dispatch and a company is always sent when there are no ambulances available.

Seems as if you might be"Knowledgable" as you put it but you have no REAL answers.I can cut it in the fire service buddy I just found the medical side to be much more challenging.Next time you are sitting there in your recliner petting the dalmatian when one of your Paramedic ambulances is out on that call in the rain or snow helping that person with a chronic case gout I am sure it will not disturb you in the least.
If an EMS only job is what satisfies you, so be it but everyone doesn't have your same aspirations. Surely you can't be that delusional. We don't have a dalmatian. How many people does it take to handle a case of gout at your service? Here I would not be needed - however if no ambulances were available, I would be there to babysit until one was.

Also one parting question,Are you a Paramedic Lt.Robert? And if so just how much time do you spend on the ambulance in a month?
I am an EMT-IV. I am a Lieutenant of an engine company. Currently on any given month, I ride 0 minutes on an ambulance. What is the relevance?

I just could not resist asking Lt. Robert Several question's,Just what makes it far,far better riding in a Memphis FD ambulance than any other ambulance in the world? Snappy uniforms,union benefits,really cool paint schemes on the ambo's? how much time have you spent on the ambulance in your career at Memphis?

St Louis FD EMS can Boast "65,000 calls for help +13 medic units,not one missed call, Justifiably proud" the Difference between St louis and Memphis is you don't have to be a Firefighter to be a paramedic. How many of your 130,000 calls for service belong to the Ambulance crews?

You are putting words in my mouth. What I said was:

I actually work here and KNOW how this department is structured, organized, and staffed. I can't speak for many other places like the rest of you because I have only worked and are knowledgable about here. Here I can tell you that you that you are FAR, FAR better riding in a Memphis Fire ambulance than one of the local private services that "specialize" in EMS.

Calll volume is like everywhere else, 75-80% EMS jobwide. Individual companies will vary.

You should honestly consider applying here for the EMS Deputy Chief's job when Chief Ludwig leaves seeing how you have everything figured out.

I am an EMT-IV. I am a Lieutenant of an engine company. Currently on any given month, I ride 0 minutes on an ambulance. What is the relevance?

That explains your Paragod remark and lack of understanding for appropriate education at an advanced level. From your posts, you have already displayed that you are not the most knowledgable person on the subject of EMS and educational standards. Your credentials now speak loudly and explain your lack of credibility on this subject. Whatever arguments mfdffp made earlier in an attempt to bring some information to the discussion have now been voided with your remarks. At least mfdffp put forth the effort to explain the program. You should have left him to continue the discussion and not try to play the"Lieutenant of an engine company" card. It again just shows your lack of respect for Paramedics and belief that just a passing score on a test is the only qualification needed. Anything beyond that would be a "paragod" by your standards. It's only another cert, right?

Sounds like you need more ambulances and less engine companies. How do you expect to run a top notch ALS service when your medics are waiting for the day to get "promoted" to suppresion? So what if you want to do EMS and firefighting, if you wanted to do firefighting/policing is that a reason for fire to do law enforcement? Its the IAFF and systems like yours who take over EMS to justify your bloated staffing/budget. Its time to remove advanced EMS from the fire service and keep it in the hands of dedicated, single function EMS professionals. What if Memphis PD wanted to start up an ALS program? Would MFD support that? Didn't think so.