FD Launches In-House Paramedic Education Program

VentMedic

WOW with your professional attitude I'm sure it will work out just great. :roll:

I am sure it will as well. The city recruited a nationally recognized EMS guru to revamp the entire EMS system. Part of that was to implement this program among many, many other postive changes.

And just for the record, printing an article out of a newspaper and making negative comments about a city, fire department, or EMS program that all of which you know absolutely nothing about is unprofessional. Telling you I could care less about your opinion is just the truth.

Newsflash - Paramedic is a certificate, not an extensive "medical program."

And I wonder why it has remained as such after 40 years?

Could it be because we have allowed people who are not cut out to be or have no interest in being medical professionals easy access to programs that assist in passing a test for a patch?

The Memphis FD is not the first to do this and now will probably not be the last. What is being done in Memphis is no different from the many other FDs that have milled their own Paramedics. Your FD could have diverted the funding to contract the local college to extend its services and accommondate your needs also. You could also have offered EMS as a service separate for Fire to attract Paramedics who want to be "medical professionals".

Unfortunately what you are doing does affect the rest of us as a profession. You seem to not understand the importance of a standardized educational process to boost the Paramedic into being a recognized medical profession across the United States as some of our neighboring countries have.

Could it be because we have allowed people who are not cut out to be or have no interest in being medical professionals easy access to programs that assist in passing a test for a patch?

Again you have no idea what you are talking about. The people attending these classes are new hires who applied for the firefighter/paramedic job.

Your FD could have diverted the funding to contract the local college to extend its services and accommondate your needs also. You could also have offered EMS as a service separate for Fire to attract Paramedics who want to be "medical professionals".
First of all there is nothing that you or I can do about this. These decisions are way over my realm of responsibility. I can tell you however that the fire department is not giving any free money away to anyone. On your other point, you are right, they could establish a separate fire and ems service. That is not however the way that our administration has decided to structure this department.

Unfortunately what you are doing does affect the rest of us as a profession. You seem to not understand the importance of a standardized educational process to boost the Paramedic into being a recognized medical profession across the United States as some of our neighboring countries have.

Paramedics, not paragods. It still falls under a standardized educational process. Some hillbilly Memphis fire department person didn't dream this up on a whim one day. The standard is set by DOT and every state has there own licsensing requirements. You do realize that every student will have to pass National Registry.....right?

Thank you MemphisE34a. Your replies have just emphasized everything I have stated in my posts.

firefighter/paramedic job.

I can tell you however that the fire department is not giving any free money away to anyone.

It still falls under a standardized educational process. Some hillbilly Memphis fire department person didn't dream this up on a whim one day. The standard is set by DOT and every state has there own licsensing requirements. You do realize that every student will have to pass National Registry.....right?

The Memphis fire department stinks of the Baltimore City fire department. They hire people under the guise of making them getting this rinky-dink, half-assed, 300 hour ALS class, which they provide. They're called "firefighter/paramedic" apprentices. They get this BS intermediate class, take another BS exam, provided by the state, and viola, they're "paramedics." It tricks the public into believing they're getting ALS care, when in fact they are getting sub-standard care performed by sub-standard providers that know they will be able to transfer to the fire side once their two year commitment is over.

It's utter bullshyte. You Memphis hosemonkeys are part of the reason EMS is never going to get anywhere, and it's evident in your posts. Damn right I don't want to be a firemonkey, just like most of the people you are going to throw into this paramedic class don't want to be paramedics. Thanks for nothing Memphis. All you serve is to reinforce why I'm leaving this profession. I can't stand to keep watching my beloved career get sucked up by the fire department, where it doesn't belong.

Thanks for nothing Memphis.

LOL. National registry exam as proof of good education. :D:D:D

That is the biggest joke of an exam and is one reason EMS is so far behind other medical professions. If they toughened the exam to eliminate diploma mill students we would get to where we only had quality educated people.

I have heard from several people who have went to Memphis for class ride alongs for Paramedic that EMS is viewed by fire as a "Sub Human Species",I understand that FDNY does the same with EMS being divided and Not Welcome in the firehouse hence having to sit on a street corner when not running calls. Another example of disaster striking with mergers of EMS and Fire is Louisville KY and Louisville Metro EMS,they are supposed to be all friendly and cozy in bed with all city services but I understand once again that EMS is shunned and left out in the cold to themselves.

Washington DC is another shining example of wanting FF/Paramedics,however the division still remains with the stigma associated with not being dedicated to "Firefighting". I get these examples first hand from people who were there and have seen it happen and experienced the frustration and lack of teamwork from the fire side. Hell I am a two hatter and have seen this myself.Is every engine/truck/rescue squad in the city of Memphis ALS equipped? Will the Battalion Chiefs also serve as EMS liaisons when a crew needs assistance? Are Battalion Chiefs required to Be Paramedics and will they first respond to provide care when an ALS engine/truck/Squad or ambulance is not available for service?

I had a co worker of mine make the comment once regarding fire based ems and "Good patient care", and I quote..."if it is not on fire they tend not to notice it" I have witnessed this for myself from both ends of the spectrum. I think one could site the great idea some people had years ago about a "Public safety" type department where police also doubled as firefighters and EMT's,just did not work out so well.Ponder that thought for a bit and get back to me.

I have heard from several people who have went to Memphis for class ride alongs for Paramedic that EMS is viewed by fire as a "Sub Human Species",I understand that FDNY does the same with EMS being divided and Not Welcome in the firehouse hence having to sit on a street corner when not running calls. Another example of disaster striking with mergers of EMS and Fire is Louisville KY and Louisville Metro EMS,they are supposed to be all friendly and cozy in bed with all city services but I understand once again that EMS is shunned and left out in the cold to themselves.

Washington DC is another shining example of wanting FF/Paramedics,however the division still remains with the stigma associated with not being dedicated to "Firefighting". I get these examples first hand from people who were there and have seen it happen and experienced the frustration and lack of teamwork from the fire side. Hell I am a two hatter and have seen this myself.Is every engine/truck/rescue squad in the city of Memphis ALS equipped? Will the Battalion Chiefs also serve as EMS liaisons when a crew needs assistance? Are Battalion Chiefs required to Be Paramedics and will they first respond to provide care when an ALS engine/truck/Squad or ambulance is not available for service?

I had a co worker of mine make the comment once regarding fire based ems and "Good patient care", and I quote..."if it is not on fire they tend not to notice it" I have witnessed this for myself from both ends of the spectrum. I think one could site the great idea some people had years ago about a "Public safety" type department where police also doubled as firefighters and EMT's,just did not work out so well.Ponder that thought for a bit and get back to me.

Another expert that has never been here. I don't have to ponder things. I actually work here and KNOW how this department is structured, organized, and staffed. I can't speak for many other places like the rest of you because I have only worked and are knowledgable about here. Here I can tell you that you that you are FAR, FAR better riding in a Memphis Fire ambulance than one of the local private services that "specialize" in EMS.

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that they naysayers probably applied for a fire based EMS job and got rejected?

But hey, you may be right........130,000 runs a year. We are all just wingin it.

Ahhh yes.... there it is :D

I work with health care professionals whom have completed pre-hospital medical programs..... Yup, I'll stay here

LOL. National registry exam as proof of good education. :D:D:D

That is the biggest joke of an exam and is one reason EMS is so far behind other medical professions. If they toughened the exam to eliminate diploma mill students we would get to where we only had quality educated people.

The point is that the current standard is National Registry or your states equivalent. You either pass it or don't regardless of whether you get your training form a University, a local community college, or your cities own academy.