Yesterday - Totaled

firedoc5

We knew yesterday was going to be tough on wife's family. It was the first anniversary of my wife's brother's death. Other than seeming a little solum, everyone seemed OK.

Then last night my boy hydro-planed in heavy rain and totaled my truck out. He's OK. A little bit of a fat lip from the airbag is all. This morning he denied being sore or stiff. He probably is but won't admit it. He went ahead and went to school. I think the heavy rain and inexperience were the main contributors. But he ran off the road just before a construction site. He was so afraid I was going to be mad at him. I told him that accidents happen and that as long as he was OK that is all that matters.

I haven't seen it yet. They are suppose to bring it this morning. In matter of fact, they should have been here by now. So I'm going to have an interesting day. Just getting all my stuff out of it is going to take most of the day.

So, how was your day?? :?

The tow truck just dropped my truck off at the house. Last night everyone was telling me how "bad" it was. I guess my definition of "bad" is different due to past experiences. It is totalled, but it's not bad. Looks like he left the road way going down a steep embankment and went into a field. At the edge of the field there was a row of trees that looks like he side swiped a few then center punched one. There's a lot to salvage from it at least.

Now if he rolled down the embankment, that would have been another story. So he was very lucky in that respect.

Oh wow, glad your boy is okay! It seems like there have been a lot of accidents this past week. Last friday my best friend totaled her car when she made a blind left turn into a parking lot. She didn't see the car traveling in the opposite direction and she was t-boned on the passanger side. She was taken to the ER by local EMS and later released with minor cuts and bruises. Not a very good week for young drivers :lol: Thank God everyone is okay.

Hey firedoc

Glad it had a positive ending for your kiddo. Another lesson learned for a young driver I suppose. Now if you can get him to pass along his mishap to friends there maybe it will prevent the next story from having a tragic end. Thank god for airbags and seatbelts . Good luck with the truck.

So, how was your day?? :?

Trust me, if I told you how my day was, you'd feel a whole lot better about yours.

So, how was your day?

Actually, it just got better, and that's because...

I told him that accidents happen and that as long as he was OK that is all that matters.

A smaller man would have lost perspective. Very sorry about the wreck, but Way To Go in your response! :thumbright:

Trust me, if I told you how my day was, you'd feel a whole lot better about yours.

Bummer, dude. There's always tomorrow.

Allegedly, Rodney Dangerfield said

One day when I was feeling low, a little voice came to me and said "Cheer up, things could be worse".

I cheered up, and, sure enough, things got worse!

• 3 weeks later...

Firedoc - Your boy is ok? I hope so.

I remember totaling my Dad's '92 Bonneville on x-mas eve in 1992 in a snowstorm while he was out of town. I, like your son, was so afraid he would be mad at me. Luckily my sister and I were ok.

Police Sgt: So this is your Dad's car.

Me: Yes, Sgt.

Police Sgt: And you are supposed to pick him up from the airport in two days?

Me: Yes, sir.

Police Sgt: Well, son, normally we write a failure to control ticket for something like this, but I'd say you have enough problem on your hand. Merry Christmas, get it out of here.

Of course, his only concern was that everyone was ok. The car, it could be fixed. When you're 16 you don't realize that. :)

I wrecked my first car less than a year after getting it. So my dad lent me his truck. I wrecked it too.

That's when I decided I better get out of town fast and joined the military. :)