Unintended elder abuse - calling Grandma "Sweetie"

Michael

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It raises her hackles. Oh my, what a sweetie she is.

Agreed!

During my practicum as an EMT, one of the first things my preceptor taught me was not to call elderly people "dear." So, to this day anyone over fifty is Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. unless they tell me different.

It should be like that for almost everyone. Kids being the exception.

I guess I am in the dog house on this one cause I do it. I call them sweetie or hon I have a bad habit of calling everyone hon though.

Guess I better watch my mouth eh? Forgot to add what about people that call their patients buddy for the men? Is that equally as bad?

I believe in the strength of a good rapport but firmly believe in also being polite, professional and respectful.

When addressing anybody I either use sir/ma'am or Mr/Mrs/Ms as appropriate.

I've called teenagers "dude", a little girl "honey" and Grandma's "dear" before but I only use those terms sparingly and if I really feel it is appropriate and beneficial to building or maintaing patient rapport.

I guess I am in the dog house on this one cause I do it. I call them sweetie or hon I have a bad habit of calling everyone hon though.
It's a southern thing and not meant to be condescending. I have witnessed a majority of my co-workers doing this. That and using Mr/Miss, then the pt.'s first name ie: "Mr. Jake" or "Miss Terri"

I have always called, individuals to my senior by their surname. Mr. Doe, Mrs. Doe; Sir, Ma'am; whichever applies. Courtesy and compassion are two of the qualities we insist our personnel practice. No attitudes, people shouldn't feel uncomfortable for calling an ambulance.

Of course, if I know them personally, or I've been directed to; then I'll address them by their forename. A lot of the hard working farmers, or older men are offended by someone calling them Sir. "Don't call me Sir, I work for a living." Occasionally, when certain officers are being idiots, I call them Sir, just to piss them off.. Because I know that's one thing that certain people really get annoyed by. :cry:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.