Chaplains in an ambulance...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brent, I think you are missing the point of the discussion, at least mine. I never said that they would be on 24/7/365 I distinctly said that I don't agree with them on the ambulances. I am all for them to be available when requested or that they respond to the calls that are determined to most likely need a chaplain like cardiac arrests, pediatric calls of many many serious types, calls of dead bodies that the crews request them on or anything else that would fit a specific criteria.

I do not see the need for a chaplain on the ambulance at really any time except in rare circumstances. But to put them on the ambulances as a semi permanent or to ride an entire shift is not a good idea. Pastors and priests are too busy tending to their flock for this type of thing.

Sure they can ride-along to get an idea of what goes on on a daily basis but to have this a regular occurrence is not in what I consider as beneficial to my job. I would welcome the chaplain but only on a sporadic or occasional basis.

Wow Brent. I think you missed the point many times, over but maybe now you understand.

ANYONE is welcome on my truck at any time to explore or learn about what we do. You are allowed one ride along, maybe a second one if I am liking you, but on a regular basis...NO, no matter who you are (Unless you are on the county council and voting for my next raise/which never happens) :D

Students are welcome always and as much as they want provided they are not an idiot, not only in medical skills but personality as well.

Chaplains have no business being on my unit at any time. The one comment from that article that visually bitch slapped me was when the chaplain said " I could see the look on that man's face and knew he needed a chaplain immeidtaely" or some BS to that effect. Yeh whatever buddy, I am sure I have made many contorted, hurt, or even sad faces over the years. Never once did I think, damn I wish I had a chaplain here. I have always had a nice bond with my partners as well, and they never once mentioned the need for one either. It is quite presumptious to think someone needs your religious assistance, simply by a look on their face. It is even more pathetic that you think only your assistance is the right one.

Why are we assuming all of our providers (EMTs/Medics) are Christians? Why is this chaplain assuming this? Let's not stop just with Christian preachers, lets get someone from every faith and belief on standby and ride along as well. I mean what if I encounter a truly horrific scene and decide I need a Wiccan goddess to assist me with what I have witnessed. Do you think that would go over well? Do you think we could do an incantation and ritual on the side of the road to help me?

It was made to seem harmless that these guys would only ride a few times a month, but it is a pilot program. As someone mentioned, if it is "successful" (we could argue by whose standards), it will grow and become more permanent fixture. This is unacceptable as religion and specifically a minister of any belief, has no business riding along to offer services. Little encroachments lead to big encroachments and then we either have to rear our "evil" heads and fight the establishment to reverse it, or we roll over and suffer at the persecuting hands of the holy, yet again.

As for chaplains on payroll, be it police department or fire department, again it is a horrible idea. You are establishing preference of one belief or faith over another and thereby forcing a rift to exist on some level, no matter how small between the members of different beliefs or no beliefs. It is just another backdoor approach to reach out and maintain a stranglehold on the masses.

Sure they can ride-along to get an idea of what goes on on a daily basis but to have this a regular occurrence is not in what I consider as beneficial to my job. I would welcome the chaplain but only on a sporadic or occasional basis.

ok Ruff, thats a thought

Do the chapalins where you come from try to impart their religion on you? Or do they act more as a social worker? That is what I am getting at. It's a person there, seperated from your partners, your management, who knows what you job is about, and is there as a resource for you to use if needed. Now in that setting, shouldn't they ride out a few times a month, so they know what your job is?

I say again, maybe this should be titled something other than chaplin to take the religious stigma away from it. But I think they should be an intregal part of any system that is assoicated with the trauma and negativity that comes from EMS and Police work. I know, Policemen have a very high suicide rate. I am curious, does anyone know what type of rate the Emergency Medical field sees?

If I need a social worker, I will call a social worker.

The chaplain title remains because that is their agenda. I do not see any social workers feeling the need to come tend to our needs; again that is because when they are needed, they are called; they know their place and do not feel the compulsion to impart their skill set on everyone in sight. They do not need a CAPTIVE audience.

You can not ignore the religious aspect of this scenario, as it has everything to do with it.

It is BECAUSE they are chaplains that they feel the compelling need to go forth and offer their services with a nice side order of Jesus, hold the ketchup.

If chaplain services have been available so readily and for such a long time within police departments, why has the suicide rate not decreased?

And again, no they should not be an integral part of a system that deals with trauma and negativity that comes from our jobs. Not unless you are willing to accomodate EVERY single faith/belief or non belief that is out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.